Chapter 2 - The Mean Girl

Today's outfit-->

  As I walk into school, I'm much less nervous as I was a week ago

As I walk into school, I'm much less nervous as I was a week ago. I've been sitting with Jackson and his friends, and I've gotten very comfortable with them. The popular girls are always giving me dirty looks all the time, but I ignore them. I don't care if they're jealous. These guys are my friends, and they can be upset all they want.
We all walk down the hall together, but me and Jackson split up and head to Literature. I'm all caught up on work, and have found out Mr. Bennett has a really easy class and might be my favorite teacher. I feel his class goes by pretty fast, as well. Mr. Lee, on the other hand, his class goes by at a snail's pace. Sure, he's a good teacher, but I just hate sitting through all of the boring math. I'm just glad Jackson's there with me, otherwise I'd die of boredom.

[time skip - lunch]

As we all pack into the cafeteria for lunch, I get more and more stares from the popular girls. I try to ignore them-I really do. But it's almost as if they're plotting something against me. They look at me, whisper to each other, look back, then do it all over again. I don't know if my assumption is right, but I sure hope it isn't.
Just as me and my friends get to talking, they walk up to me. I hate the way they walk, like they own the place. They look down at me, arms crossed.

"So," The girl in the middle of them says, smacking her lips as she chews gum-I hated that too. Why couldn't she just chew like a normal person? "I heard you have no parents," She says, laughing.
I throw a glance at her, but decide not to say anything. I just continue on with eating my lunch pretending she isn't there. But is that the only thing she has to say to me? How did she even find out? I haven't told anyone yet, not even the boys at the table.

"Hey, numbnuts. I'm talking to you," She says again, smacking the back of my head. I yelp out in pain, and clutch the spot she hit, and a single tear rolls down my face. That girl has issues. I did nothing, yet she hit me! I guess the people at this school are just like the people at my old one-terrible. Maybe not Jackson and his other friends, but everyone else can go suck it.
I already know everyone is looking over here. With how loud I was, I bet all eyes are on me. The loud noise of everyone talking slowly fades to silence. Now, I definitely know everyone is watching.

"Marissa! What's your problem?" Jackson yells angrily, standing up to face her.

"Why do you care?" She retorts, still chewing her gum so obnoxiously loud. "You got a thing for little miss orphan over here?" Her friends giggle from behind her.

"No, she's my friend. And I don't like it when people like you act like that," He defends, crossing his arms.

As this goes on, Mark is comforting me. My head hurts a lot now, but there's nothing I can do about it since I don't have any medication on me. I try to contain my sobs and keep them as quiet as I can, but I do slip up every now and then. I tone the others out, and I'm only able to focus on my quickly-forming headache. A teacher soon walks up and splits them apart. It's Mr. Burke, the science teacher.