Chapter 26: A Destined Un-Goldbrick

In Taurus' Point of View

Breakfast. I heard it was food after Good Sunrise, but I've never actually had one. When we were out for Paris, we weren't able to eat anything except the French onion soup and baguettes, and that was for dinner. The only time I had breakfast was in Madrid, when I had a croqueta.

Now that we're back at the house, we had to wait until dinner to eat, and we bring home food from work. We actually had only one meal in the sky, which was just before Moon made its fourth revolve around Earth.

The next day was a crazy day for everyone. Our Paris excuse slips from our jobs had been extended to until our Madrid express, so we had to make up for the work. I was happy to see Miss MC again, our 'boss' I guess you could say.

Our trips to Paris and Madrid have taught me a lot about Earth, so I wouldn't say I was new to it all anymore.

Miss MC excused herself since one of her nieces were sick, so there were only constellations in the cafe. They started talking about mocha espresso or something.

"Which makes me wonder," I said, "where are the Fire Signs right now?"

"I'm not sure how Fire Signs relate to mocha espresso, but I think they're looking for a new job," Capricorn replied.

Scorpio was arranging flowers again, and since the M&M cafe was famous for them, he had to make it look good.

"So," I struck up another conversation, "about that visit yesterday. I wonder what happened to that. Aries seemed to be in a good mood after."

Virgo looked down at the floor. Scorpio seemed to notice, because he said, "I guess you can ask him when you see him. For now, though, we have to continue working."

He walked over to Virgo, and I only heard as much as, "So, I take it you were eavesdropping on them?"

I frowned. I wondered what that could be about. While the two were talking, and Capricorn was arranging the cakes on the display rack, I tended to a customer.

Okay, I thought the girls in our group looked nice, but this girl looked nothing compared to us. She had auburn hair with clear blue eyes and dotted freckles. She just looked naturally beautiful, I didn't know how to react.

After a moment, I said, "Good Sunri- I mean, good morning! Please have a seat, and I'll take your order in a moment."

"There will be no need for that," she said in a perky voice I knew too well.

"Venus?" I whispered in disbelief. "That's you, isn't it? But why are you here?"

"Your one and only ruling planet," she smiled, then she turned serious. Nevertheless, she looked like she was just posing for an adventure movie series, "I'm here because you're in distress. Tell me, is it because of Scorpio there?"

"What? No! Libra's the one who needs help-"

"Really?"

"Really, I promise," I tried to explain. "But... I mean, how did you get here?"

Venus laughed, which was like getting hit by a ray of sunlight with bells tinkling and doves bursting through the room, "I can visit whenever I want, remember? Taurus, you have changed. Your relationship with Scorpio seems... stronger." She gushed.

"He doesn't like me that way," I told her, my hands shaking slightly, "and even if he did, Master said we couldn't fall in love. You were there in the Love Meeting, weren't you? It's impossible you'd miss it; you were the one pairing everyone up!"

"And your Master just approved or disapproved, then realizing you can't fall in love. How boring that was!" Venus groaned, "To be completely honest, I paired you up with Scorpio because he seems like the type who'd push you away at first, and I can't predict if you'll end up together..."

"You're saying that we're not actually destined to be together?" I asked.

"Well, I mean, if you put it that way, it does seem to be that what I have done sounds wrong. Taurus, I'm trying to give you a chance with someone this time. You've been rejected before, and I didn't want it to happen again," Venus said, a little more serious this time.

"So you gave me the complete opposite of the boy I used to like..." I realized. "But... why Scorpio?"

"Don't you know me, Taurus? I like to tug the strings of love and watch the pining," she exaggerated at, dramatically. "Plus, with Scorpio, your pining will never end." She spread her arms out wide like she were taking in a breath of fresh air.

"Okay. Now I know. My heartache has eased," I said hurriedly, lying a bit back there. "You can go now, okay?"

"Can I order a little something first?" she asked, and I worked on her order for the whole day.

~~~

She ordered fifteen trays of heart-shaped cookies, nine huge cups of the coffee (different flavors each), and twenty boxes of brownies!

But here I am, finally done. And I still can't believe it. He greeted me when I was halfway to the house. We stood in front of a swing, which was too small to fit the both of us.

"You're home late."

"You didn't wait for me," I panted. Scorpio looked at me as if he was disappointed. "What were you doing anyway?"

"Doing my job, that's what," I said.

"You're snappier than... me. 'Something's wrong," he said. He sounded concerned, which made me want to stop talking like this. But what Venus said, about the pining never ending... I mean, I wanted it to end, for goodness' sake. I mean I like him, don't I? That's the whole reason I'm doing this.

"Oh, you mean this whole 'going to Earth to find items' thing?" I tried to think of maybe another thing wrong, "I know. It's messed up. Everything I told you, the thing in Madrid- all that, right? I know and I'll change if you want me to but--"

"Taurus," Scorpio stopped me. He held out a rose- it's petals a gleaming yellow. It looked beautiful, the tips lined with gold and the leaves a dark green. "I've been rude to you. I want to be a little... kinder, or something like that. I've seen you done so much for me, and all I've done in return was play hard to get."

"That's alright, you know it's fine with me. Plus, I've been persuasive to you, so-"

I noticed Scorpio was itching to just shove the rose at me, so I took it and smiled. "But, uh... thank you. I'll try to be considerate as well..."

Why am I speaking so formally? My hands were shaking, and I didn't know why he was being so quiet. I was the type of zodiac who doesn't blush when flustered, but I'm pretty sure my hair had changed color by now.

We stood there quietly. He sat on the sidewalk. I sat beside him.

"Yellow roses... symbolize friendship, right?" I asked. "Just-"

He shrugged and shook his head. "I'm not sure, but--"

"O-Oh..." My voice cracked. I started panicking internally. He was going to say something else, and me and my mouth had to interrupt whatever it was.

"I know as much as you liking me, Taurus. I just didn't know how to react, and maybe the thought of it all made me want to push you away. I don't know what Master will think of all of this, but I just want us to be... a little closer for now, okay?"

I grinned, feeling giddy with happiness. I nodded. "Of course! That's the best thing you could tell me." I knew that wasn't true, but I don't ask for much.

He took my hand and squeezed it. We watched the clouds form a cluster in the sky, and a flock of birds fly away, then we went back to the house. For now, though, being closer than before was enough for me to forget all the trouble we were in.