Chapter seventeen : 1969 part one : The Replacement

Start from the beginning

John licked on his lower lip, curious now. "Did you?" She shook her head. "Not really. Back when I was at Sarah Lawrence there was a thing with girls kissing each other. I kissed a few friends, mostly for the thrill, you know? Because it was forbidden." She watched him with playful eyes. "It wasn't bad, but it wasn't really my thing, either."

She retrieved her cup, looking up when John opened his mouth, although nothing came out of it for a few long seconds. "There was someone else," he said at length, his voice a little tight.

"Another man," Yoko stated, as if she'd known all along, and John closed his eyes. Yoko took his hand, kissing it. "It's not like that, John." He looked at her, slightly taken aback by how unruffled she seemed to be about the whole thing. "Did you think I would be shocked?" She smiled suddenly, wide and unguarded, as she sometimes did when it was just the two of them. "I did a whole movie featuring only bottoms," she reminded, and John couldn't help but laugh along. "You're unshockable?" She chuckled. "Maybe."

He patted her leg, raising his eyebrows. "What gave me away?" Yoko's eyebrows furrowed a little. "I think it's the way you always compare me to a bloke, you know? You said I was like one of your mates, except one you could shag?" John snorted, rubbing his face. "Not my best shot at a compliment, I must say." Yoko shrugged. "I thought it was good. You said I was like a bloke in drag, for you, too. And that you found that appealing, the fact that I reminded you of a man a little. So I figured perhaps, I also reminded you of another relationship you'd had, with a man."

John stayed silent for a little while. "You're very clever, for a bird." Yoko nudged him in the ribs. "Don't be sexist." He grinned to her and she rolled her eyes, forgiving him as he leaned in for a kiss, cuddling back against her. She was silent for a while and then squeezed John's shoulder gently.

"Did he hurt you?"

He swallowed dryly, but shook his head. "I think I hurt him." Yoko hummed and stroked his back, but didn't ask for a name, and John felt grateful for it. "I really loved him." She kissed him again, softly. "Perhaps you can still be friends." John smiled but his eyes were sad, suddenly wondering whether she thought he was talking about Paul, chuckling at the idea. "Perhaps."

————————————————————————————————

George blew into his hands and quickly rubbed them together, hoping to create a bit of warmth in the draughty studio. It was far too cold and early in the morning to have a productive recording session, but Paul had had his mind set on filming the making of a Beatles album. George hadn't been too convinced with the idea from the start, thinking it would impair the band's fragile harmony and creativity, but now, he was beginning to doubt that anything would even get done under these conditions.

The space was filled with tension and they were getting on each other's nerves, the appalling setting of Twickenham only making matters worse. George was seriously considering walking out of the band after he and Paul had had a sort of row. Well, as much as you could have a row with someone like Paul while he was being filmed. Paul didn't like his guitar playing anymore apparently, and wanted him to play things otherwise, more like he himself would have. George had tried to keep the peace between the two of them, offering to play it anyway Paul wanted, but that hadn't solved anything.