Chapter Twenty One

We Are Grounders Part One - Chapter Twenty One

I fluttered my eyes open to see the stars. In the distance I heard someone sharpening a knife, a fire crackled to my right. Groaning I brought my hands up to my head as it throbbed. My wrists were clamped together by large mud caked restraints. Frowning I sat up from my lying position on the floor, Grounders surrounded me.

"Blithe, you're awake." I looked over my shoulder to see my sister.

"Clarke?" My voice was hoarse from the lack of water, "What's going on, where's Finn? Where's Monty?"

She pursed her lips and looked down sadly, answering my question without words. I got it, Finn was dead. The fire light illuminated her face, showing off new cuts and bruises on her fair skin.

I laid back down, huffing into the frosty air. The canopy of trees were spread out far enough to see most of the night sky, the moon hiding on the forest line. I had left Bellamy on a hopeless trip, he probably thought I was dead now. Biting my cheek I searched my mind, trying to figure out how I got here.

All that I remember was getting hung up in the trees by some trap, that most likely the Grounders had put down. Now I was being held captive by them, laying beside my sister.

Back on the Ark, before I had murdered two people, if I had been told that I was going back to Earth. That I was going to fall in love with a rebel, find out that I had a twin sister and get captured by Grounders I would've laughed in their face. Then a random thought entered my mind, what if none of this actually had happened? What if this was all some crazy dream and I was on the Ark sleeping in my containment cell. What if I was just the crazy murderer living in cell number three o six that loved or wanted. What if ?

I was proven wrong of course, this was reality. My ankle was throbbing from all the walking I wasn't supposed to be doing and embers from the fire spitted out close enough to catch my hair on fire. Taking note of that I moved away from the fire and huddled against Clarke, who seemed to be in her own thoughts.

A twig snapped making me look around nervously. There was four legged animals tied to a tree near by, the horses whined. A person at the fire that was warming her hands looked up to meet Clarke's staring gaze, something told me she was trouble.

"Your left flank is vulnerable." A deep voice called from the hill above us.

In the dark he was scary, in the warm sunlight he'd probably make people shit their pants. The woman hovering over the fire stood up to yell back at him, Grounders that were sleeping on the floor had jumped up and drawled out their swords.

"My archers are in the trees with orders to kill anyone hostile. You're not hostile are you, Tristan?" The way she said it told me she was the group leader.

The big Grounder, Tristan, walked down the hill to greet the woman. Clarke watched him, curiosity and nervousness swirling in her eyes. But I totally had misjudged Tristan, he came our way. Clarke and I scampered backwards, our connected chains clanking on the ground.

"So this is who's beating you?" He asked after giving us a cold look.

"Who are you?" Clarke asks confidently.

"I'm the man sent to slaughter your people." He spat out. I suddenly felt a pang of fear rush through me, I hadn't realized the situation until now. Eventually the Grounders were going to kill us.

"The commander sent you?" The woman asked with despise laced in her words.

Tristan stepped forward and gave her a long look before speaking, "Your unit is mine now. My rangers are hungry. They're at the river, go feed them."