>>>>>[ Chapter 1: "Contrition"

Batman's eyes narrowed as he stared at the bank of monitors used by the Batcomputer. One notice in particular from GCPD caught his attention: Joker had escaped from Arkham.

Batman took long strides heading towards The Batmobile thinking where Joker might go. The Clown Prince of Crime always had a love for old Toy Factories, or perhaps Costume and Magic Shops – but he'd exhausted most of them in Gotham and wasn't one to repeat himself. No... This time he'd have to do something different... something unusual...

As Batman jumped into his car Alfred – who was in the process of serving Bruce's evening meal – piped up. "I take it you'll be dining take-out this evening."

Batman let out a chuckle and said "I'll be back by morning." before closing the top. Alfred watched as the Batmobile's jet turbine engine whined to life – flames occasionally leaping from the various ports which vectored its thrust and provided The Batmobile with almost unnaturally tight handling at high speeds. Within moments the vehicle's exhaust vents moved in synchronous union as the vehicle sprung to life.

"So I take it you'll be wanting your usual breakfast of leftovers, and bandages then." His words fell on no ears but his own however. The Batman was long gone.

Batman shifted the Batmobile into its highest gear as he continued winding his way through the mountain roads into Gotham. "Computer, analyze recent Police broadcasts and triangulate Joker's position." A confirmation tone played followed by the computer's voice: "Triangulation Complete."

"Show the sattelite view of the co-ordinates on-screen. Maximum magnification."

A portion of the Batmobile's winshield lit up as its Heads-Up-Display showed Joker heading towards a familiar back-alley. "Close View" Batman commanded, and slammed the accelerator to the floor. Two words escaped his lips: "Axis Chemical".

Joker ran madly – dodging another Police Cruiser and hiding behind a dumpster. Once clear, he continued his escape – straps and sleeves flying as he ran. Convinced he was safe now, he stopped to catch his breath – sitting on a nearby milk-crate. Hunched over, he placed his arms on his knees and crossed his sleeves before him – talking to himself. "First, catch my breath – then ditch the jacket!"

"Keep it. It suits you." Joker looked up to see Batman – then down to where The Batman's foot had already trapped his sleeves onto the floor. Eyes wide he looked up just in time to see the oncoming, leather-gloved fist. WHAP! Joker reeled back – his sleeves tearing from the force of the blow – and slammed against the wall. Batman wasted no time following up as he used his forearm to pin Joker to the wall by his neck.

Joker cackled. "Just like old times, isn't it, Drac? You, me, a Family-Sized vat of toxic waste." The leather in Batman's guantlets creaked as he pressed harder against Joker's neck. "Oh come now – don't tell me you've already forgotten our first date? Face it, Bats – you MADE me. If it wasn't for you, we wouldn't even be here dancing our precarious little dance. But then, think of all the fun we've had together! The gags, the beatings..." Joker paused – cracking a demented smile. His voice lowered as he continued, taunting now: "the necrologically impaired sidekicks."

Batman picked up Joker by the collar and threw him against the opposite wall of the alley – garbage cans flying as a stray cat screeched its complaint. Batman again pinned Joker before he had a chance to recover – blood now trickling down Joker's forehead, and from the corner of his mouth. Joker had suffered an internal injury – a damaged lung.

"You made me FIRST Joker! Or should I say 'Red Hood'?"

"Red Hood, Schmed Hood – Who CARES? Joker is YOU'RE doing – your very own demented work of procreational art! Face it, DRAC – I'm the closest thing you have to family. Flesh, and blood. Your very own little Bats-in-the-belfry Jr.!"