Am I crazy or is he not that bad. (Picture of Ryan)

“Hey John sorry we’re late we let our son drive.” Mr. Larazo said smiling and shaking my dad’s hand.

“Ah yes where is your son I thought he would be joining us tonite?” My mom asked.

“He’s parking the car he should be in any minute now.” Mrs. Larazo said.

“Isn’t it scary to think of our children driving alone?” Mr. Larazo added.

“Daddy I was scared riding in the car without you or mommy driving.” Katie said holding her small baby doll in her arms as Mr. Larazo rubbed her back.

“Katie is that a new dollie?” I asked as she came and sat next to me on the kid’s side of the table.

“Yes it is her name is Josie and she wants me to be her mommy so I take care of her and she loves me.” She said smiling.

“Oh well i’m sure you are the best mommy ever.” I said smiling as she put Josie in a chair.

“Alexa guess what my brother is coming to dinner with us tonite.” She said smiling.

“Oh wow that will be fun maybe he can take turns with me taking you out on the dance floor tonite.” I said smiling.

“Yeah here he is now. Ryan over here!” She yelled waving her little hands.

“Ryan, son what took you so long?” Mr. Larazo asked as Ryan came and sat down at the table and I couldn’t help but notice him staring at me.

“Sorry sir the valet took forever so I went and parked it myself and saved a few bucks so here you go.” He said handing his dad some money.

“Good man right here.” My dad said smiling.

“Thank you Mr. Gallagher.” He said smiling and sitting in the chair next to me.

“Oh yes Ryan this is Alexa. Mr. and Mrs. Gallagher’s daughter. I’m sure you know her you both go to Davis.” Mrs. Raposo said smiling.

“Nice to meet you Ryan.” I said turning and smiling before holding out my hand to shake his. I had to put on a front for my parents and his.

“Pleased to meet you Alexa.” He said smiling and winking  before shaking my hand.

“Ryan, Alexa is in your grade. And guess what she told me.” Katie said smiling.

“What’s that?” He said smiling at me like he knew what I was thinking.

“She said that you and her could take turns taking me out on the dance floor.” She said smiling.

“Well that sounds like fun.” He said smiling at his little sister.

    So the night went on with the grown ups talking and Ryan and I entertaining Katie with dancing and jokes and such. Finally it was time to go home because Katie had fallen asleep.

“Alexa honey why don’t you take Ryan home yourself and get to know each other.” My mom said smiling.

“Mom.” I said.

“Lex it never hurts to have more friends.” She said rubbing my back.

“Ok i’ll see you when I get home love you guys.” I said before kissing them both on the cheek and grabbing Ryan’s hand and pulling him towards my car.

“So Ryan how about get some coffee and drive around for a bit if that’s ok with you?” I asked walking hand in hand with a complete stranger.

“That sounds good to me.” He said smiling before opening my car door for me and then getting in himself.

“So your parents are the Larazo’s the ones we have dinner with one Thursday a month and your parents own that restaurant and you are their amazing son oh wow.” I said starting my car.

“I guess so.” He said smiling at me.

“Stop enjoying this.” I said looking at him I had to admit he was very cute. He was wearing and pair of dark wash jeans and black loafers with a light blue button up shirt and a black tie. He was lean but you could see his muscles through his shirt. He was tan and gorgeous and his hair was placed in a perfectly placed mess.

“So Alexa tell me about yourself.” Ryan said turning slightly in his seat to look at me.

“You make it sound so easy what do you wanna know?” I asked pulling into Starbucks.

“Well how about family?” Ryan asked.

“Umm... well what about them?” I asked fidgeting in seat.

“I mean you’re adopted right?” He asked before jumping out of the car to help me out but after getting out not letting go of my hand.

“Umm... why would you say that... I mean is it that obvious. This is why I don’t like people I go to school with seeing this side of me promise not to tell?” I asked pulling him away from the door and begging him.

“Wait i’m confused why do you want to keep your family a secret?” He asked.

“I’ll tell you what why don’t we just go in and get some coffee and then we can take a drive.” I said opening the door and walking into the cold air-conditioned room.

    After getting our coffee we quickly walked back to my car where Ryan once again held the door open for me before getting into the car himself. The silence was soon broken as I pulled out of the parking lot.

“Ok so now tell me why are you so ashamed of your family.” Ryan asked as I grabbed for my coffee and took a drink.

“I’m not ashamed of my family but I am adopted. I don’t like people knowing. John and Vivian have been my parents since I was 12 they took me in when I thought no one in the world wanted me and I hate hearing about how i’m their adopted misfit. I’ve just given up trying to make people understand me or where I came from so I don’t let them know the real me.” I said looking straight ahead.

“Why would you be the misfit?”

“Come on Ryan look at my parents and then look at me before I came to them I wasn’t in the best situation I came to them with only the clothes on my back and a few pictures.” I said pulling over to the side of the road to compose myself.

“And your real parents what happened to them?”

“My mother is gone she passed away when I was 11 and my father is in jail where I assume he stays for life.” I said suddenly angry.

“I’m sorry to hear that.” He said as I pulled my wallet of pictures out of my purse. The first picture was a picture of my mother when she was younger looking so happy and beautiful, the second picture a picture of my mother and me the day I was born, then a picture of me and here when I was 4, the pictures from the photo booth, and finally a family picture of me with my new family.

“She was beautiful Lex. Is this what he did to you thought all these bruises?” He asked looking at the pictures from the photo booth.

“You know the day that we took those pictures was the best and worst day of my life. I remember while we were out we had so much fun and I felt that this was how a real mother and daughter were supposed to do. It was the first time I had ever been out of the house like really out of the house and it was truly amazing. But I remember when we came home my father was madder than I had ever seen him. I went to my room and I could hear her screaming....” I said reliving the horrible past.