Tom - Spring Cleaning

Spring time! You hopped out of bed, the bright sunlight giving you extra energy as it pours into your bedroom. Humming along with the birds, you go to your wall and check your giant calendar.

 One more day. Just one more day!

You were bursting with excitement. After eight long months, Tom was finally coming home, and, this time, he was taking a year and half off from the screen. No movies, no tours, no TV shows, no interviews. You also fell off the couch when he told you his plans over Skype.

 "Are you insane?! What about your fans?"

 "What about my wife?"

He did have a way of getting to your soft spot.

You make up your bed and get to cleaning. Admittedly, the house did look messier than usual without him around, and the first thing you want him to see, besides you, was a house, spick-and-span. Less stressed, more impressed.

And what's cleaning without music? Connecting your phone to the stereo in the living room, you let your music blast through the house.

The upstairs took you all morning, from cleaning out your closet, including trading your winter clothes out for the spring clothes in the basement, to even changing the bedding for all the bedrooms, including the guest room. You even went the extra mile and cleaned all the screens for the windows and the dust from the air conditioners.

Going downstairs was easier. It was pretty much clean, save dishes in the sink, random jackets and purses on the couch, and water bottles on the kitchen counter. Still, you got it done within three hours—putting everything in its proper place, wiping down the leather couches, dusting off the fireplace and ceiling fans, cleaning all the tables and counters. And what's more, for both levels, you even made sure to wipe down the walls and doors. Even they needed loving care.

Going from top to bottom, you vacuum all the carpets, including the steps on the staircase. After that, you move to the hardwood floors and tiles. For that, to make it fun, you took two wooden, scrubbing brushes, tied them to your feet, and used them as skates.

As you moved your feet, you started to hum along to the music from the stereo. Soon, the humming went to whispering then to singing the lyrics.

"Love it or leave it, you better gain way. You better hit bull's eye, the kid don't play. If there was a problem, yo, I'll solve it. Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it." You start to dance along, doing the running man. After scrubbing with your feet, you dried with a mop as Little Mix's cover of Mumford and Sons plays, you singing along.

"But I'll kneel down, wait for now. And I'll kneel down, know my ground." You get the soapy water from the corners and edges. "And I will wait, I will wait for you."

 And even though the floors were done kitchen, you continue into the living room, waiting until the right moment in the next song to start dancing once more.

"Every day, I'm shuffling," you sing an octave higher, just like you've done for the whole song. And then you unleashed like a beast, shuffling as if you were in the music video itself.

"Get up, get down, put your hands up to the sound." As you and the song finish, you take off the brushes and go to get a mop to wipe up the suds.

The last thing you do it the basement, where you and Tom kept your library and instruments. The carpet, like last week, get cleaned once a month, along with the wall, made of material. So the only thing you have to do is clean off the shelves, dust the instruments, and clean the emergency escape window and electric fireplace. You take your phone downstairs with you, still needing your music.

"He bends his breath around my name," you sing along as you take the books out the first shelf. "And I am humbled. I feel small and plain."

You sing through the whole song, taking care of the things down in the basement as if a child. This was the space that you two cherished most, like a haven within a haven. It was a place to feel safe, to cuddle next to a fire, to whisper sweet nothings, to feel loved.

The song starts to end and so does your work. But, as you turn to clean the instruments, you freeze, for leaning against the wall is Tom, covering his mouth to keep his laughter silent. You nearly fall on the ground, taken by surprise and instantly embarrassed.

"Oh my god, Tom, how long have you been standing there?!"

"Here? The whole time. Upstairs? Since the beginning of Ice, Ice, Baby, but that's beside the point." He walks over and gives you a welcoming hug as your cheeks turn all shades of pink and red. "That was so beautifully done, darling. No need to be embarrassed."

"You weren't supposed to hear."

"I'm glad I did. I didn't know my wife was so talented." And with that, he kisses your temples, taking the cloths and cleaning supplies from your hands. You just watch him as he helps you clean, and you can't help but smile as he starts to hum, finishing the song for you.

*****

A/N: So here's the situation: in regards to the imagine book, I have made some decisions:

There will be another imagine book that I will try to update at least once a week. This book will be specifically for combating insecurities we face. Doing this for several reasons:

1. In the event I do close and retire this book, there will be one still going.

2. Everyone is hurting. Everyone is struggling. We're trying so hard, but it's difficult to stand when society keeps kicking us down. So to stay empowered, I would like to dedicate a book on the things people tease us about, the things we may not like about ourselves and are too afraid to say.

3. In harmony with the previous point, having Tom's point-of-view can be heart-strengthening, a friendly reminder that you are so much more than what society labels you.

That book is currently up, so any requests that fit into this category will possibly end up there.

Love you all so much! x  ~Ace