Saving a Friend

I slowly blink awake, sitting up alone in my bed. I wonder where they are? I stretch, smiling as my back pops. It's been a while since I've done that. I swing my legs over the side of my bed, considering whether or not to try to walk. I decide that I might as well take the risk. Bad idea. As soon as I stand up, I fall forward, barely managing to catch myself with my hands.

  "Sunny!! Moonpie!!" I call out, trying to get them to come help me. Sunny bursts in, looking around frantically after he sees that I'm not on the bed.

  "Y/n?? Where are you??" He whisper-yells worriedly.

  "Down here!!" I whisper back, trying to lift up enough to wave at him. He sighs exasperatedly as he walks me over and lifts me up.

  "Tsk, we can't have you falling like that. Am I going to have to tie you down?" He asks playfully. I blush furiously as I shove my lewd thoughts away. 

  "Haha I don't think we need to do that," I smile at him. "Why are we whispering though? Is it naptime?" I question. It would explain why Moon isn't here.

  "Yes, it is actually. What were you trying to do? Do you need to go somewhere?" he asks, lowering me enough that my feet are on the floor, but he still supports me enough that I can stand. 

  "Uh, no, I just wanted to get up, and I didn't know where you guys were," I explain, clutching onto Sunny's arm.

  "Yeah, they opened the daycare back up as soon as you came back, because we are now 'functional enough'," Sunny sighs. "Well, where do you want to go? Do you want to go out there with Moon? Or maybe stay here with me, at least until naptime is over?" Sunny questions. I hear something though, that I hadn't heard before. Worry, anxiousness, hiding in the undertones of Sunny's voice.

  "Hey, Sunny, are you okay? You sound anxious, is there something you aren't telling me?" I ask, perhaps too forcefully.

  "Well . . . they told me not to tell you, said you'd be upset . . . they're right of course," Sunny stammers out.

  "Just tell me!"

  "They're decommissioning Monty today," He manages to sputter out, hanging his head.

  "What?! Why would they do that?!" 

  "It has to do with what happened to you, since he was in the same room, they found your blood on his claws, a few other things too."

  "Chica was there too!! They can't decommission Monty!! He didn't know what he was doing, he didn't mean to, he felt so bad, he's my friend!!! THEY CAN'T HURT HIM!!" I try to push myself away from Sun to walk, but fail. "We need to stop them!"

  "I would say we could Sunshine, but if I took you there, who knows what they'd do to me? Or Moon? They might fire you too, if you tried to stop them. It's just too risky, I'm sorry, I don't want them to do it either, Monty was a chill guy," Sunny explains, smiling sadly at me.

  "No! Don't say 'was' like he's already gone! We can save him, we can stop them, and if we can't then I can!" I successfully push myself away from Sun, managing to stand by myself with the help of the small table near my bed. I use the wall and various surfaces to make my way over to the door slowly, stopping every once in a while, to steady my legs. Sun follows right behind me, making sure I don't fall, but not daring to touch me.

  "Sunshine, you really shouldn't be going, I don't want anything to happen to you, who knows what they'll do? How would you even stop them? They've been talking about doing this for a while, this was just the last straw," Sunny pleads, trying to get me to stop.

  "I will save him, I don't know how I'll do it, but I am. I don't care what they do to me! I won't let them kill my friend," I state, leaving no room for further argument. I finally make it to the door, wrenching it open. I look across the huge daycare, seeing the two large doors that seem so, so far away. I sigh as I start to slowly, inch by inch, make my way to them.

  "At least let me help you," Sunny says, putting his hands around my waist to help hold me up.

  "No, Sun, I need to do this myself." I say as I push his hands off of me. He stays in the same spot as I shuffle across the vast daycare floor, eventually making my way to the door. Moon glances my way as I walk but makes no move to stop me. After spending way too long walking, and maybe getting lost, I eventually get to Parts & Service. I throw myself through the door.

  "STOP! DON'T YOU DECOMISSION HIM!!! HE DIDN'T DO ANYTHING WRONG!!" I screech out. The mechanics all stop what they're doing to stare at me. I must look insane. How long has it been since my hair has been brushed? Or anything? I look around, my eyes coming to rest on Monty. They had partially decommissioned him already, parts of his metal exterior missing, a few wires cut. One of his eyes wasn't glowing. I make my way to him, glaring at anyone who tries to stop me. 

  "Oh, Monty, what have they done to you?" I sigh softly, tracing my finger on the jagged edge of his torn metal. He tries to say something, but only some garbled gibberish comes out. "Hold on bud, I gotcha," I grunt as I pull him off the chair he was sitting on. "I wasn't here. Monty was fully decommissioned. Two hundred dollars will be left outside of the daycare at 10:45 pm. No one will know about it." I announce boldly. I can feel Monty relax as we leave P&S, and we make our way to the daycare, both having to stop a few times. We get there after closing time, luckily. I don't know how kids would react to a huge, mangled Monty walking in. I barely manage to open the door before my legs finally give out, my body racked with exhaustion from the slight activity that it hadn't done in months.

  "Sun . . . Moon . . . please help," I call out. They both hurry over to me and Monty, stopping short when they see him.

  "What is the lizard doing here?" Moon sneers, scowling in Monty's direction.

  "You know he's my friend, Moonpie, just please help," I sigh, leaning my head back on the wooden door. Moon picks me up and carries me to my room, setting me down on my bed. 

  "Sun is taking him to our room. How are you going to repair him? You know what happened when you touched my wires, and the thought of you doing that to him . . ." Moon growls, "No. I wont allow it. You're mine. And Sun's," he tacks on as an afterthought. 

  "Moonpie, you know I need to do this. It wont be like that, I promise. I know you don't like him, but he helped me, and he's been a good friend to me. I'm begging you, please."

  "Fine. But Sun and I have to be there with you the whole time," He demands.

  "That's fine by me," I sigh, laying down onto the pillow.

  "Though," Moon laughs, "maybe I should make you beg a little more. . ."

1284 Words

  Thank you so much for reading!! Stay hydrated, which means water, not just coffee and energy drinks! Stay safe, darlings!