54. Many Weddings

"The Monks of Cool, whose tiny and exclusivemonastery is hidden in a really cool andlaid-back valley in the lower Ramtops,have a passing-out test for a novice

monastery is hidden in a really cool and
laid-back valley in the lower Ramtops,
have a passing-out test for a novice.
He is taken into a room full of all types of
clothing and asked: Yo, my son, which of
these is the most stylish thing to wear?
And the correct answer is:
Hey, whatever I select."

― Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies

54. Many Weddings

Kissing was not quite what Legolas had thought. After he had given Kat a sweet, brief touch of lips against lips, she pulled him closer and said she would show how it was done where she came from. And the Valar help him, so she did. At length.

Her kind of kiss was far more sensual than he had imagined kisses could be, and a lot more personal. When she teased his lips with her tongue it sent shivers through his entire body, making him breathless as if after intense exercise. It made him feel vulnerable – but in a good way.

When she pulled back a long while later his lips were sore but he didn't mind. He would have been glad to continue for hours upon end if she had wanted to.

Instead they snuggled close together under a leafy tree, Legolas leaning his back against its trunk and Kat resting her head on his chest, pressing her nose against the crook of his neck like she always did when she was a cat. "You smell so good," she murmured.

She should talk. Burying his own nose in her hair he drew in her scent in deep gulps. Mesmerizing.

It grew dark and a bit chilly, but he wrapped his cloak around them both. They were mostly silent, enjoying each other and the newness of being together this way.

It was fascinating how quickly their relationship had changed from friendship into... whatever this was. Legolas had just had to make up his mind, and then from one moment to the other he was allowed to be this intimate with her. After his doubts, worries and guilt beforehand it had almost been too easy – but he had no regrets. Absolutely not. This felt right.

After a while he heard Kat's breathing becoming heavy and her eyes closed. They really shouldn't spend the night in each other's company in a public garden, but he had not the heart to rouse her. Hopefully the Lothlórien cloak would keep them hidden if someone came by.

Looking down at her serene face, he admired her dark lashes forming half-moons on her cheeks; her inviting lips; her ears with their pretty, rounded shape. He touched his own but they were still pointed; if anything had changed after he learned he would get the Gift it didn't show. 

He tried to sense any internal differences but couldn't find any there either. He felt the same way as always. Would he begin to age? Perhaps grow a beard? He stroked his smooth chin with a fingertip.

Maybe he would have to do like Lúthien did? She had gone to the Halls of Mandos and received the Gift there. Time would tell, he supposed.

It struck him that he had already changed, in a way – mentally. He had experienced so many new things in the past year: his first journey beyond the borders of the Great Wood, his first large-scale battle and now his first kiss.