Chapter 1

The bleak, foggy, depressing October. The month where practically everyone gets ill and polluted by germs. Some, though, get much "ill-er" than others...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Danielle's POV

'Way! You just got thrown in a snake!' Alice screamed in excitement. I can't think to believe how happy she is. How can she be? We are in a Hospital, for God's sake! Well, then again, Alice doesn't quite get why we are here. My sister, Martha, has been ill for months now and isn't showing any sign of getting better. None of the tablets the doctors have offered us have worked and actually made a slight improvement. It is quite weird, really. She has been getting bruises where she hasn't fallen over; becoming seriously tired; catching the flu almost all the time; over-bleeding with a cut; sweating; loss of appetite and seeming extremely weak.

My Mum and Dad were getting worked up and upset about this so they decided that we must go the Hospital straight away. It is 11:48a.m now but we arrived here around 3:00a.m in the morning (can you believe that?!). Apparently, Mum and Dad couldn't cope with all the worries and stress anymore. I don't blame them, really. I guess I would've done exactly the same thing if I was the parent of a child like Martha. People think that Martha is strange, ugly and smelly but they don't even know her. They have never gotten to know her and actually talk to her properlywithout it being another insult. They have no idea how ill Martha actually is and what she might be suffering of. 

'Well done, Alice! You win again!' I try my best to sound/look happy and relaxed near Alice to make sure she thinks everything is OK but I fail miserably everytime. I don't want Alice to see her big sister upset. That'll make her sad and she'll cry and chaos will begin.

'You bet I had. I declare another game!' She thought aloud. For a 5 year old, she was pretty good at grammar and speech.

'What? Why? We only just finished our 7th game.' I asked. Alice could be quite competative sometimes and didn't understand the meaning of "I do not want to play this game anymore". It's either that or she doesn't want to understand it.

'So I can kick your butt once again!' She laughed wildly as she set up the game board yet again. Alice had silky, blonde hair and deep blue eyes that can show you all her feelings in just one glance. I giggled but it accidently turned into a sort of sigh. I am useless at this playing-it-cool thing. I wish I didn't have to pretend. I peered around for somehing to look at / do. All I saw was posters hanging over all the walls. They were all boring though: "Please turn off all mobile phones. Thank you." and "No foods or drinks in here what-so-ever. Nowhere in the World can possibly be as dull as this. And no where near as frustrating...

Martha is in Dr. Frank's room. Tony Frank. His door must've been designed for children because it was full of rainbow shapes and patterns. Just as I thought nothing could possibly ever get worse, my mum started to open the door I was staring at only a second ago. It opened with a loud "SQUEAK" and Alice almost jumped as the noise began to echo around the Hospital. You would be able to hear it from the other side of the building because it was so deafining. I began to tremble with fear, though, as I saw the look on mother's face. Tears flew down her cheekbones and her mascara had smudged giantly. Her blonde-ish hair had lost its joyful shine and she was left with a flat head of hair. Behind her was my dad, Mike. He looked further down than anyone had been doing so far. His green eyes had turned to a turquiose-ish sad colour that dimmed the room. And finally, I turned to Martha. Her hazel eyes shone but were not happy at all. Her red lips were curved but not upwards. Her eyebrows lifted but only to make way for the flood of tears coming from her sorrowful eyes.

'Mum...?' I asked and when there was no answer I moved on: 'Dad...?' As soon as I said his name he burst into a rage of tears. I gulped. 'Martha?'

Martha opened her mouth to speak but another voice came out. It was Tony's: 'I'm afraid there is some bad news...' He blinked and carried on as I just stared at him. 'Your sister Martha has... Leukemia cancer.'

'W-what's that?' I whispered finding it hard to find my voice.

'It's a cancer you get in your blood. Your sister has had it for some time now and we will have to run some tests very soon.'

'But she'll be OK, right?' I asked willingly.

He coughed slightly and said: 'We hope so...' After a while of an awkward silence he added: 'I'm sorry.'

'Yesssss! Martha's got leukemia cancer in her blood! Oh yeh!' Shouted Alice.

Everyone stared at her for a while when dad replied: 'Sweetie, it's a very bad thing. Not a good one, now is it?'

'No... It isn't...' She trembeled as if she'd been brain-washed by his emerald eyes.

'Good girl.' He ended his mini speech with. 'Now go give Martha a hug but not too tight.'

Alice skipped over to my older sister and squeezed her fiercly. She delicately said: 'I love you. Please don't die.'

Martha answered quietly. 'Not until I'm 100.'

'Promise?' Came the sweet voice of Alice.

'Promise.'