Chapter 31: Importance

I lied down and held Avi until I was positive he was dreaming and reluctantly snuck away from him to work on more homework. I'd been so focused on math that I was almost positive I was falling behind in everything else. My English paper was due before everything else, so I focused on that for a while before switching over to my music history stuff and back to my essay. Thankfully, I'd picked a topic for my paper that would help with my music studying. It didn't take long before I finished my paper and started on some of the latter parts of Jazz history when I heard my phone alarm go off. Shit.

"Mitch?"

I cringed at the sound of Avi's slightly disappointed morning voice. I turned around to face him, but I already knew what conversation we were about to have, it wouldn't have been the first time.

"You didn't sleep... Did you?"

"I didn't."

He rubbed his face with his hand and took a deep breath. "Why do you keep doing this? It's been two nights in a row you haven't slept."

"I know."

"If you know then fix it!"

"I can't just fix it!" I stood up from my chair. "I need to pass my classes!"

"Aren't you working so you can record music? Have you even written anything worth recording?"

"I write all the time. These tests are important!"

"Nothing is more important than your health..."

"I'm fine!"

He furrowed his eyebrows at me and slumped his shoulders. "Do you honestly think you'll do well on your exams when you're this tired?"

"I'm not tired!"

"How many cups of coffee have you had?"

"Too many?"

"Correct answer, but you know what I meant."

"Okay! I'll rest... Okay?"

He nodded his head at the spot on the bed next to him and I sulked over to it. Without a second though, Avi pulled me against his chest and held on to me until I passed out in his arms. I had no idea how long I would sleep, but I was glad I'd taken the day off, even though it was initially for studying. The last thing I needed was to miss an important note from a class or something that would be on the test.

When I opened my eyes again, I was in bed alone and the sun was... coming up? How long had I been asleep? I sat up just in time to watch Avi walk in the room with a cup of something.

"Did I miss a day?"

"Yes. It's Sunday now."

"You didn't wake me up?!"

"I tried." He scratched his head and sipped what was probably coffee. "You slept through a lot of stuff. You sleep heavy."

"I don't normally." I grabbed the sides of my head and rested my elbows on my knees. "Shit... What if I fail? What if I get academic probation? I could lose my scholarship!"

"You slept. You didn't miss anything Mitchie. I've been watching you study your face off for 8 weeks. Take a day off."

"Does that fact that this is important mean nothing to you?!"

"Does the fact that you're important mean nothing to you?!"

We both stood in the center of my room fuming at each other and yelling until Avi was too tired to fight. Though we were sharing a bed, we weren't in harmony. It was the first time I'd slept without his touch in 5 weeks.