Chapter 3 - Daryl Dixon

"Amelia!" Shane called. "Come outside! Rick and I have a surprise for you!"

I got up from my bed and walked to the front door. I walked outside to see Rick and Shane in only their swimming trunks. Both of them soaking wet.

"Close your eyes!" Rick said. I did as I was told. "Now open!"

When I opened my eyes, I saw them holding a cake that read, 'Happy 16th Birthday Amelia!' My face lit up with happiness as they brought the cake towards me.

"Blow out the candles!" Shane said.

I was confused.

"But there aren't any candles." I said. They both smirked at each other.

"That's the idea!" Rick yelled. At that they both smashed the cake in my face.

"Now you need to clean up!" Shane yelled. He sprayed me with the hose. I chased after them in the beautiful sunny day.

-------------------------------------

I awoke to see blue eyes staring at me.

"Damn. You toss and turn a lot." Daryl stated.

"What the fuck, Daryl?!" I yelled throwing my pillow at his face. He merely chuckled. "How long have you been watching me?"

He shrugged. "Maybe 2 minutes. You talk in your sleep too." He smirked.

"Damn! What did I say?" I asked.

"Somethin' 'bout Rick and Shane." He replied.

Fuck.

"So, since we're roommates and all, we should probably know somethings about each other." I said, hoping to switch topics.

"What do ya wanna know?" Daryl asked curiously.

"Well, what about your high school life?" I asked. He paused before speaking.

"Why not something else?" He pleaded.

Why? What was he trying to hide?

"I'll tell you mine if you tell me yours." I said.

"Fine." He sighed. "You first."

"Alright. Well. I was a tomboy. I was never really popular, but I had good friends. None were girls except for one. Her name was Allison. I never hung out with anyone except boys. Hell, I grew up with them. So, you?" I finished.

"I was a nerd." Daryl stated. I laughed hysterically.

"Mr. Daryl Dixon! A nerd!"

"Yeah, yeah shut your hole! I always had my face stuck a book before my brother Merle taught me different. That's all I'm goin to say."

"So your brother, is he alive?" I asked. His expression was solemn.

"Missing." He said simply. I decided to drop it. "What about your family?"

"Well, Shane is dead and so are my parents. They died before all of this. My mom had cancer and my dad had a brain tumor. So, Rick is the only family I have left." I stated.

There was a long pause before Daryl spoke again.

"Remember that stuff I said about being a nerd?" He asked.

"Yeah."

"No you don't." And with that, Daryl walked out of the cell, leaving me all alone.