xlii. the end of the star festival

And the Royal Knight exams begins but we're kinda skimming through that throughout the next few chapters, ok- and like half of this is talking with Draco

not a side note but happy pride month <3 you're all valid and loved

———

The star festival ended just like that; crowds cheering for their new Magic Knight captain who was raised as a commoner, and is the current Wizard King's niece; as [Name] watches in shock as her old friend- no, her murderer- walks away.

How did she suddenly remember that? Didn't those two gods and her mom say that she only had two other lives or something? Wasn't her purpose to protect Serenity? Did they lie to me?

Fuck, oh, everything could be a lie then. This might not even be real, I might not be alive, maybe I'm just dreaming- 17 years of a dream? Did I shift somehow? I never tried to. Fuck, it's all so confusing. Should I slap myself? No, that wouldn't work, I've gotten hurt before. Which means I'm not dreaming. So that's not it.

[Name] takes a few shaky breaths, struggling to calm herself as she walks from the stage. Luckily, the others are having fun and Ajax is entertained with them.

This is real. This is my reality as of right now. So, the gods were definitely lying about there only being three lives, this being my third. I don't know how many times the two of us were reincarnated, and I don't know if the purpose they gave me was real either.

There are so many things I don't know.

[Name]'s mind reels as two excited boys- Yuno and Asta- pull her along. When did they grab her? She has no idea, but it doesn't really matter.

That's right; it doesn't matter. Serenity isn't my responsibility. If her siblings wanted her to live that much, they should've come down here themselves.

It's none of my business.

———

That was what I thought before the Royal Knight Exam. Of course Serenity just had to be there. Was she even a knight? Gosh, this is frustrating, but I ignore her even harder and wander around.

Oh, Ajax is with Julius waving at me. That's so cute, I think when I wave back, grinning heartily at the boy.

Everything was obvious. Julius' speech was obvious. The meeting with Klaus, Mimosa, Yuno, Asta, and Leopold were obvious. Finral, Luck, Magna, and Noelle coming over was obvious. The whispers were obvious. The rivalry between us all was obvious. Obvious, obvious, obvious. Everything was to be expected.

What wasn't was Serenity's surprise appearance.

I wish she'd gotten the hint and stayed away but it's not like I can avoid her forever.

That's right.

I nearly jump physically. Good grief, where have you been?!

Out.

Great answer. Disappear again, I have in-person conversations to take care of. We can talk later.

K.

Don't "K" me, you motherfu-

"Hello, everyone! [Name]," she nods her head towards me. I stand stunned, mouth gaping.