Loki - Only Friends

Loki's POV

 Be a gentleman, I repeat to myself. Be a gentleman. Be a gentle...man.

Today was definitely going to be the day. I had prepared myself for weeks, psyching myself for this moment. Hours spent in from of the mirror, practicing exactly what I was going to say, how I was going to smile—all of it was finally going to pay off. I was going to tell her.

After taking a deep breath, I knock on the door, taking the final moments to calm myself down and to maintain my cool. But inside, instead of the television going, instead of lines from Doctor Who or from Sherlock being said, I heard her laughter, a chorus of giggles in a duet with somebody else's. It was a man's.

I look to my left, the window to the living room there. The white curtain's were drawn, but I can barely make out the figures. The man had (Y/N) thrown over her shoulder, spinning her around in a circle.

"Put me down, Steven!"

"Not until you tell me where my shield is!"

"But I have to answer the door!" With another chuckle, he sets her down. "Check under my bed, Cap."

"Thank you!" He kisses her forehead.

I was so confused. Was this the Steve that she would mention? I thought they were just friends. She would have told me otherwise...wouldn't she?

 All this work...for nothing.

The sound of the opening door caught me off guard. (Y/N) gives me a warm smile, like the one I had prepared to give her.

"Loki! I'm so glad you're here!" She gives me a hug and then leads me in by the hand. "There's someone I want you to meet."

 Of course you do.

She brings me to the living room just as Steve is coming out of the hallway, a red, white, and blue shield in his hand.

"How did you manage to scratch it?" He looks at me, smiling as he outstretches his hand. "You must be Loki. I've heard so much about you."

"Likewise." I turn to (Y/N). "Actually, I just came by here to see if I left my scepter here. I can't find it at home." Her smile fades.

"Oh...okay. I'll look for it." She heads to her room, leaving me and Steve to ourselves.

"(Y/N) is always hiding things," he says to break the silence.

"Seems like it." I look at the shield. "So a shield, huh?"

"Yeah," he says, flexing his arm as he shows me the round metal. "Indestructible. Protects me. But she got a huge, long scratch in the middle of it, how?! It was just underneath her bed!" I look closely. Sure enough, there, across the star was a gash.

"(Y/N) is something else."

"You're telling me." We hear her coming back, so we hush.

"No, sorry Loki. It's not here." Of course it's not, I have it at home.

"Okay, thanks." I stand and head towards the door.

"Wait, you don't want to stay for a bit?" she asks. "I have chocolate pudding in the refrigerator."

 I don't feel like eating, (Y/N).

"No," I say, turning back to her. "I really should get back to searching." I look at Steve. "Nice to meet you."

"Take care!" he waves back.

~

I don't talk to her for two weeks. I had no desire to. No matter how many calls and texts I got from her, no matter many times my doorbell rang, I still stayed inside, found some reason to ignore her. My emotions were already spent.

Another knock came on my door. I was going to ignore it like I had the ten times before, but this one was different.

"Loki, I know you're in there," Steve calls out.

 What does he want? I let him go, but he keeps knocking, not letting up for five minutes until I answered the door.

"Will you STOP?!"

"Let's go," he says, dragging me out my house, barely letting me close the front door. He cuffs my wrist together.

"If you're going to kidnap me," I start as he throws me into the backseat of his car. "Can you at least tell me where I'm going?"

"No. Even you should be smart enough to figure it out."

 (Y/N).

"Why don't you comfort her?" I snap.

"Because she doesn't want to talk to me." He looks at me in the reviewer mirror. "Do you have something against me?"

 Let's count the ways.

"No. I would just expect her boyfriend to be the first one she turns to."

Without warning, he slams onto the brakes, causing me to fly forward into the seat. He whips around, his eyes wide.

"We are not dating!" My eyebrows wrinkle.

"You're not?"

"I'm just a kid from Brooklyn! You're the person she cares most for." He shrinks back. "Oh God, I wasn't supposed to say anything!"

"She...likes me?"

"You can't let her know I told you!" He turns back around and continues to drive. I turn to the back and let out a smile.

 She likes me, too.

We pull up to Stark Tower. Steve pulls me out and drags me through the entrance and to the elevator.

"You are to be nice," he orders. "You are not to yell at her or be harsh. You are to comfort her, let her tell you on her own."

 Like I didn't prepare myself before.

We get to the right floor, and he leads me to his room. Opening the door, my eyes fall onto the woman curled on the bed. I could still hear her whimpering, still hear her crying. She was hugging her midsection, as if in pain. Steve unlocks my cuffs, and I go to her. She looks up at me with red eyes as he closes the door.

 Heartbroken.

"Loki?" she says. I go to hold her hands.

"If I had known, I would have come sooner." (Y/N) wraps her arms around my neck, and I lift her up by the waist then hold her by the thighs. I sit on the bed, she clinging onto me.

"What did I do?" she cries into my neck. "What did I do to make you hate me?"

"Shh," I quiet her. "I don't hate you. I never did, (Y/N)." I kiss her cheek, tasting the salt from her tears.

"How did I hurt you, Loki? Why did you walk out on me?" I hold her head close to me.

"It wasn't your fault. And it doesn't matter now. I'm here now." Slowly, I rock us back and forth, soothing her cries until she was breathing calmly against my chest.

"Loki?"

"Yes?"

"I...I love you." I stop in my tracks. Out of all the ways I imagined this, I never thought she would say it first.

"You love me?" When she nods, I kiss her forehead. "Do you know how long I've been waiting to tell you that too?"