Idiocy

For what feels like hours we all sit at the table. We ask questions and Kaz does his best to answer them. The pieces of the plan slowly shift into perspective as the questions get answered. It is a good plan but a risky one. When have you ever backed down from a risk? I ask myself. It has to be risky for it to work.

I take a sip of my cold coffee as the meeting closes. I watch as Kaz's usual sharp posture slouches with exhaustion. A pant of worry goes through me as his face contorts with pain as he stretches his leg.

"Let's all try to get some sleep. I think we all need it." I say with a smile.

Gathering the sketches and documents into neat piles I usher them off to bed. I sigh and think about my back where the towels have soaked through with blood.

As they all go to bed I go into the bathroom and cut more bandages out of towels. As the shears work, Kas bursts into the bathroom and tosses his coat into the sink.

"I need your help plotting a route to the slat." He admits.

"I'm coming with you."

"You know I have to face them alone." He turns the spigot and splashes water on his face. "They'll be looking for any sign of weakness, Emris. I can't approach at street level."

"You shouldn't approach at all," I say.

"Talk me through the best route or I'll find my own way there." He pulls a tourist map out of his coat. I trace two lines.

"This way's faster but it's steeper," I say pointing to one of the lines.

"I'll take the long way." He says, memorizing the path before tucking the paper back in his coat.

"Kaz," I plea, thousands of words going unsaid. "Thank you. For saving me from VanEck."

"You should have known I would find a way, Blade." He looks up at me and leans over the basin. "If I end up in the gallows you can say something nice over my body." I slap him on the shoulder.

"Kaz—"

"There's a discolored brick in the wall behind the Crow Club. Behind it, you'll find twenty thousand kruge. It's not much, but it should be enough to bribe a few stadwatch grunts. You'd have a better shot on your own—even better if you left now."

"I'm going to pretend you didn't say that. These are my friends my city too."

"Tell me what happened at the silos."

"VanEck played alliances with Rollins and his gang. They ambushed us and Nina raised the dead and-" I drag a thumb across my throat. "The girl that bested Inej, she's good. I'll admit it she's almost as good as your wraith."

"So, a new shadow."

"A pretty damn good shadow if she can get those stars in her." I snicker. "Yeah, who's your shadow?" I ask.

"I don't have one."

"Maybe you are a shadow then."

"You mean Rollins."

"What happens if this goes to plan? We sell the boy and what go back to normal?"

"There is no normal anymore. What do you want to do?"

"Travel the world maybe. Stay in Ketterdam and build my empire. What about you?"

"I wreak all the havoc till my luck runs out. Build an empire of my own."

"And after that?"

"Burn it all to the ground."

"Is that what makes you different then Rollins?"