Chapter 9

CHAPTER 9

  I breathed in and breathed out, calming down my nerves. Gavier and I were supposed to come in on the stage anytime now. I peeked at the vibrant stage. There was even a red carpet, plush sofas with silken sheets, and the hall where the audience sat was wide and full of people. There was another set of plush chairs only for one person, and there sat the talk show host and he was currently engaged in a conversation with non-other than Queen Elizabeth who sat on the other chair next to him.

  I stepped back and was suddenly jammed on the wall, with my back slamming on it.

"I'm sorry," a guy holding the lights apologized. He was wearing a hat so I couldn't really see his face.

"What the fuck did you just do?" Gavier appeared, glaring menacingly at the guy who pushed me as he held on the guy's collar.

"S-sorry I—" the guy stuttered.

"It's fine Gavier, I'm alright," I said and Gavier finally looked at me, pushing the guy away. I swore the guy with the hat on just smirked as he left. Why did he smirk? Then I suddenly felt it. Oh god, the pain was excruciating. Shit, my back was hurting again and it was more painful than ever.

"Are you really okay?" I heard Gavier ask and I immediately masked my face with feign ignorance. "Is your ba—"

"I'm fine," I snapped. Why was he suddenly so concerned when he was just ignoring me and tormenting me earlier? I felt the pain in my chest again. I hate fighting with him but I don't want to hope again because I know I would just be hurt in the end.

Gavier's eyes turned cold and dark like how they were when we first met, his hands balled in fists at his sides but he didn't say anything and looked away. It was better this way, I thought, really it was better.

I felt like burying myself in a hole and die.

 "And now, your most awaited guests: Prince Gavier Dracus Rivera Czarkshaw and Miss Clarissa Marie Valdez!!!" The host boomed and the crowd cheered. That was our cue. I stepped forward and felt a zing of pain on my spine. With the heels, it made it harder to walk making my knees almost buckle from the pain. But I needed to do this, I couldn't back out now. Not when I worked so hard for this, not when people worked so hard on my behalf, and especially not when people were maybe thinking ill of my father.

  I felt a familiar hand enveloping in mine and I flinched. "It's okay, we have to seem like good friends remember? Just lean on me."

  I forced on a smile as we went on stage hand in hand. I knew I shouldn't be allowing him to do this, but Gavier's hand in mine was so comfortable and exhilarating at the same time, I felt like I could do anything.

  I felt eyes on me, people whispering, judging me, and getting kidnapped suddenly seemed better than being on my current situation but knowing what I had to do, I held my head high, confidently crossing the room with the high heels, with Gavier's hand in mine.

  The talk show host bowed his head and so did the audience. "Pleased to be in your presence, your majesties."

Gavier ignored him and sat us down on the sofa facing the audience and the queen without saying anything. How rude.

 "Thank you," I said, ignoring the queen's burning glare at me, her eyes mostly gazing at the Gavier's arm wrapped around my back, his hand resting possessively on my waist. When did that get there? I tried prying it off, making it not look too obvious I didn't want his hand there but his grip tightened even more.

I gave him a fake smile, putting my face close to his ear. "You know, you don't have to do this. We're supposed to be fake good friends but even good friends don't need to touch each other every time," I sneered.