Best Friends Life (Part 1)

Cause let's face it being in love with your best friend is hard. Teenage angst!

***********************************

The school library held a controlled silence, one that contradicted the storm of departing students just beyond the doors. Around Kennedy, the library was two stories of bookshelves and smelled of old paper and coffee from snuck in contraband. Kennedy scowled, staring at the tidal wave of people finding their freedom. She leaned back in her chair and set her crossed ankles on the table before her.

"Kennedy Keller, get your feet off the table," the librarian called out.

Rolling her eyes, Kennedy did as instructed.

Patty shook her head. "You're as bad as your mother."

Despite the reprimand, Kennedy couldn't help smiling at this. Being reminded that her mother once went to this school, and sat at these tables brightened her mood. Made her feel as if she weren't somewhere unknown, far away from Kennedy.

Beside her, Harrison typed away at his phone. The edge of his mouth was curled, telling Kennedy it was Layla. Frowning, she leaned over and smacked the screen.

"Stop messaging your girlfriend and talk to me," she said.

Harrison chose to do only one of the actions.

"Are you jealous that you don't have all my attention?"

"No, I'm annoyed that I barely get any while you're right here."

"Well, if you were my girlfriend then that wouldn't be an issue."

Kennedy crossed her arms. "I have too much dignity to be your girlfriend."

Harrison shrugged. "Then stop complaining."

Fighting the urge to punch her unsuspecting friend, she watched the last stragglers as they jogged past the library's glass-framed doors. As Kennedy stared, a pair pushed through the doors, attracting Harrison's attention.

The boy and girl were two different ends of the color spectrum made real. The boy was all dark with black curly hair, friendly brown eyes, and rich ebony skin. The girl was all color, with wild red hair, bright green eyes, and pale skin. What tied the two together was the smiles that mirrored each other.

As they moved towards the table, the boy said something and the girl laughed, shoving his arm. Kennedy and Harrison exchanged a look, confirming their joined thoughts about the two.

"Amber and Dennie?" Kennedy asked.

The pair turned their smiles onto their tutors.

"Yeah," Amber said.

"You want to get started?"

She nodded but looked to Dennie. He elbowed her with a wide grin. "I'm warning this one is a terrible student."

Amber blushed and hit his arm with her shoulder. "Shut up, you're way worse than me."

"Am not! Who is the one that talks all the time."

"Who do you think I'm replying to!"

Before the pair could further the idea that they were chatterboxes that bounced off each other, Kennedy cut in.

"That's great, you both clearly know how a mouth works. Let's see if we can't get your brains to work as well."

Despite the dig, the pair shared suppressed grins and divided, Amber, taking the spot beside Kennedy. As Dennie reached for the chair next to Harrison, Harrison stood.