Part 19

The ride on Askook's back to Nevada was extremely beautiful. We flew over plains, hills, and canopies. As soon as we had soared high enough for Askook to get the right flow, a group of vultures surrounded us. I started getting scared because vultures don't exactly like man. I always think of them as cannibals. But Askook shook his right wing in assurance, and sure enough, the vultures just prodded past us. And I swear, one of them even kinda smiled at me. It was like being with dolphins, only in air. 

After flying for about five minutes(I wish it was longer), we finally landed on the sand. It was surprisingly cold, like a tropical desert. Askook bade me goodbye, and said, "Whenever you decide you want to come back, just close your eyes and think of me. If you meet Belinda, you can come with her. She knows the alternate way to our cave."

"Yes, okay," I smiled."Thanks."

Askook flew away, and I started randomly walking around. The Nevada was definitely not given enough justice from the cave view. It was much more beautiful up close. The sand extended upto a certain limit, repeatedly washed away by the waves. The water was as blue as ever and I could see a buoy some metres away from the shore. I was expecting to spot a few corked bottles with a secret mesage in them, too, but all I found were shells, and starfish. Orange starfish, that moved in this cute little way. 

And then abruptly, memories of the day my mother had been rushed to the hospital by Uncle David came back. News of my father's death reached us through the television. My mom had just switched on the our old 1958 television set, and there it was, flashing on the screen as if a death meant nothing. I still remember the headline very well. ' Army General Leon killed during the gunfires, ' it said. 

As soon as my mom had seen that, she hugged me and Aarya to her chest and started crying. I'd never seen her cry so much before, and before I knew it, she just....I don't know. She fell to the ground and blanked out. All I could do was wait and stare. Aarya beside me was crying, too. I bet she didn't know the exact reason though. Even today, I'm not sure if she knows about how our parents died.

Then suddenly, that day when Aarya had totally ditched me for Russo on the newspapers, came back. I wondered if Russo had put her under some magic spell, or hypnotism. Or else Aarya wouldn't have been such a nutcase. 

I kept walking towards the water. As soon as it touched my feet, I felt this wave come over me. No, not the water wave, but a wave of relief. It was cold, the water, but not so cold that I'd have to back away. I stood there for some time, letting the coolness sink in. With every wave that touched me, the smooth sand sinked deeper, and gave out this soothing feeling. I closed my eyes. 

I was never really the person who could hear voices that are completely inaudible,  but I swear I heard whispers. So, I started walking towards the direction from where the sound was coming. I still kept my eyes close, afraid that if I opened them I'd lose the sound, or see something dangerous ahead of me. 

I kept walking, guiding my feet to the voice. I came to a halt as my lower body bumped into something spiny. I opened my eyes, and saw that I'd bumped in a tall row of grass. And then, the voices became louder but not clearer. Carefully I separated two stalks of the grass, and peered in. There was this tall tree in front, and under that, sitting in the shade, was a hagon. A lady was sitting in front of him, with her back faced to me. Even so, I could recognise her easily. Belinda. Belinda Montgomery. 

I wanted to reach ahead and tell her I was here, but my mind kept asking me to shut up and eavesdrop. Which was very difficult, because they were talking in very low whispers. I wonder how I even heard them from so far. 

Occasionaly, the hagon would keep looking here and there, probably to check if there was anyone around. Belinda just kept bobbing her head up and down. It looked like the hagon was giving her mere instructions, and she kept obeying him. And then, they got up. Time for departure, I suppose. 

They shook hands in this very formal way, and I noticed the hagon passing her a slip of paper. Belinda reluctantly tucked it in her pocket, and turned around. I hurriedly ran away as fast as I could, and innocently stood near the waters again. 

Belinda came near, and I pretended to see her for the first time. She smiled, but I could see a hint of worry in her face.

"Hi. Are you feeling beter?" she asked.

"Yes. Askook told me you were feeling guilty. Really, Belinda, I know it's not your fault." Now, as I said it, I started doubting myself.

"Courtney, I'm still very sorry. I should've checked the lasagne." she looked down and for a second she looked genuinely sad. Then, suddenly her eyes shone and she said,"So how come you are here? Have you..er, been standing here from a lot of time? Or did you like wander around?"

I knew she wanted to ask if I saw her, but I just decided to play safe, "No, I've been here from a lot of time. I don't really know the directions, so I was just wondering if anyone could help me out exploring this place. And then, I heard these voices. I was just thinking if I should find out who it was so they could help me, but then I saw you!"

"Oh, well, I was just hanging around. Maybe the voices you heard were the local animals. So I think we should leave now. It'll soon be dark."

She dodged it perfectly. Boy, Belinda had some guts. "Sure."

She showed me a path hidden behind the tree where just a minute ago, she was with that hagon. We kept walking, and then came to this entrance. There was a big oak door. I followed Belinda into a dark passage. "Stay close," she said and her voice echoed around the tunnel.

And then, she slid open a door, where I saw the familiar purple stone wall. Instantly, I knew we'd found our cave. 

In the evening, I decided to make dinner for the three of us. Just in case somebody tried doing any more mischief. 

"This muesli is simply satiating!"Belinda said between mouthfuls of the food.

"Thanks,"I replied, flattered.

"You should cook more often, Court," Askook breathed out. 

"Yep!" I said.

We finished our meal and after cleaning up with Belinda, we went to bed. Askook was already asleep and snoring on a rocking chair. How he managed to fit, is a big mystery. But I knew that getting him out would be a big problem. 

Belinda slept on one of the two beds made out of leaves. I kissed her goodnight and lay down on the soft moss. From the corner of my eye, in my peripheral vision, I saw that piece of paper sticking out of Belinda's coat, which was hanging on the hook by the cave door. I waited for her to fall asleep, and when I was sure she did, I made my way to it.

My hands were shaking, because I was scared I might find something I didn't like. I opened the paper. 

"Ljmm ifs xifo j btl zpv up" 

I missed Aarya. She loved solving these kind of puzzles.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hola! I am not getting enough reads! =( it is stuck on 3,706. Even the votes, fans, comments are not increasing. Do something fans! Or I really might stop writing =( 

Thanks for reading anyway xx =)

PS:If anyone can decode the message, you are welcome to tell me what it is =P