Honor Thy Father

"What did I tell you, man. The beach sucks." Trent said, giving me a side hug. I laughed, as I stepped inside his house. "This place hasn't changed in years. Last time I was here was for-" I started to say.
"...For the annual Halloween party with Dex. Whatever happened to him anyways?" He asked, as we stepped inside the kitchen. "I slept with his wife and he ghosted me." I replied. Both of us began laughing. "Oh yeah, that's right. Last I heard she filed for divorce. Not sure if it's gone through yet."
"Wait, seriously?"
"Yeah, man. Just a few months ago, while you were rotting away on the island. What was it like there anyways?"

Flashback: Bay of Hell
As the lifeboat neared the shore, my body laid there, weak. "Son.. we have to move. It looks like we've found an island," my dad said. "We've only got a couple meals left and a water bottle. This isn't enough for both of us to last even a day." I replied, as I began coughing. My voice was hoarse. "I.. I know, son." He replied. I could tell by the look on his face that he was keeping something from me. But now wasn't the time. Then the lifeboat reached shore. "Come on son, we need to move."
We stepped onto the sand. My legs felt weak, almost like they were made of sticks. We headed for the trees, to see if there was any berries or maybe civilians. Tourists maybe. As we neared the trees, I sensed something might be off. That maybe we truly were alone here. God do I wish we were.

Suddenly, something flew past my face. I looked towards my father, standing next to me. Something had been shot into his neck. It was a tranq dart. My fathers eyes widened. "Run." He said to me, before collapsing to the ground. I looked back towards the person who shot it at him, but before I could move one of them was in my neck too. That's when everything faded away.

PRESENT DAY:
"Cold. Lonely, usually." I replied. "How the hell did you manage to survive there?" He asked. I cleared my throat.
"I don't wanna talk about it."