Chapter 1 ~ Hiding from Hell

So, I feel like I need to clarify before we start that a lot of characters in this book refer to themselves as brother/sister/cousin etc. in a symbolic way when in fact they are not genetically/biologically related (Ill try to make it more clear in my rewrite).
1. Archangels are not the result of 'breeding' but a creation by god, so they are each unique and unrelated. When they refer to themselves as siblings it is symbolically because they have the same creator and were created at the same time as the first beings. So, Zak & Abby are not related :)
2. Nephilim are also unrelated but as there are only 7 of them in existence and they all faced similar circumstances they too consider themselves 'siblings' of a sort.

Hopefully, this helps clear up any confusion :)

Chapter 1 ~ Abbegael

Follow your General's orders. The words have been ingrained in my mind from the day I was born. Even now, as I face an eternity serving Lucifer, they circle like sharks in my mind. Binding and unbreakable.

Heaven, once a home where I was openly welcome is now a hopeless dream held just out of reach by those four little words. Anger flashes through me at the thought and without further prompting my blade is in my hand.

With a small flick of my wrist the streak of silver flies from my hand toward the image of Lucifer on the back of door. The satisfying thwack resounding in my mind as the blade bites deep into the wood, impaling him right between his bright blue eyes, so similar to my own. Flickering flames disintegrate the image in seconds and I silently wish I could have enjoyed the small conflagration for a while longer.

Fear builds as I stand, silently, waiting. All too soon a blinding flash of light and the rumbling growl that accompanies it announces his presence. Turning from the door there he is; Lucifer. My General, in all his glory.

He stands in the centre of the dark room. His overpowering presence filling the small space to its limit. His once pristine white wings hang tattered and torn at his back, as his pale eyes pierce the darkness and render me frozen in place.

"General." I bow my head in the customary sign of respect. My tone dull, almost a monotone as I forcefully rein in the fear and set my face in a mask of calm compliance. Whatever happens I will not allow him to see me afraid; never again.

"Abbegael, I've been looking for you," his commanding tone sends shivers racing down my spine. "You weren't... hiding? Were you?" A knowing smirk slides across his lips, a calculating glint sparking in his eyes.

He knows I have no choice but to follow him and he knows I hate him for it. There's no point trying to escape, there's no going back. Remembering myself, I halt my thoughts before they can go any further, he will have people listening as always and I still need to play the part he's given me.

"No, sir. I've been waiting for you since...the war." It's the truth, despite how much I despise myself for it. I have nowhere else to go. And I knew my prayers to the Almighty Father to forgive my sins were hopeless. Even God has His limits. As it turns out, all out rebellion is one of them.

"Really? Well... we will see." His eyes maintain an unwavering vigil on me for what feels like an eternity. Finally he frees me from where I stand, frozen beneath his gaze. "Guards!" He barks before disappearing with the same flash of light and ear-splitting rumble with which he appeared. In his place stand two more of the Fallen.

"Sepher," I recognize the pale blonde locks and almost black eyes of the angel on the right. I turn to the angel standing beside him and my breath catches in my throat. "Chase?"

I attempt to hide the shock that radiates through my body, and remain in place as his warm, chocolate brown eyes meet my own. His presence as one of the Fallen sets my mind reeling. What is he doing here? He wasn't even in Lucifer's army.