Chapter 7- We Just Stole A Golf Cart

Chapter 7

Danny and I had just finished rehearsing our lines in my bedroom. According to Danny I was getting better at rehearsing my lines and acting as well.

We were making our way downstairs when my mum called for me.

"I'll wait for you outside" Danny said and walked out to give me and my mum privacy.

I walked into the kitchen where my mum sat down on the kitchen table and motioned for me to take a seat. She sighed before saying "Aileen, your dad and I aren't happy that your missing out on so much school work to make this film"

"It's only been a few days these past couple of weeks that I’ve missed" I protested. “I’ve been catching up on the work on the days that I have been going back to school and Kirsty has been helping me on the work that I’ve missed. I also get time to study on set, so there's no need to worry"

"What about your exams that are coming up soon?"

"I'm ready and prepared for them, so you don't need to worry about that either. Don't you think I've thought about all of this when I took the job? Mum, trust me, I've got it all sorted. Besides everything will be back to normal next week, it was just these past couple of weeks that I had to miss some school because we had a lot of filming to do in the beginning" I tried to assure her but by the look on her face she still looked sceptical. She still didn't agree with my career choice but she gave up arguing about it when I first started filming.

"I've got to get back to the set" I sighed as I got up off my seat. "Danny liked the pasta that you made for lunch “I tried to lighten the mood and it seemed to work as I saw a small smile creeping up on her face. She got up to hug me before I left. "Mum I know what I'm doing. Stop worrying" I knew she had been worrying a lot about this and if it would all work out.

"I'm your mother, I'm supposed to worry. I guess I just don't want to see you hurt if this doesn't work out"

"If it doesn't then I'll find a way to deal with it. I'm not a little girl anymore, I can make my own decisions" with that she kissed me on my head and let go of me.

I waved goodbye to her and walked outside to where Danny stood waiting patiently for me.

"Sorry about that" I apologised to Danny, to which he just waved off.

We walked back to the set, seeing as it was a rare sunny day. The sun hitting down on us so hard that I actually found a reason to wear my denim shorts and tank top, which only came out of the wardrobe on days like these.

"What were your parents like when you first started acting?"I asked Danny out of curiosity, wanting to know the difference between his parents and mine.

"They were quite supportive" he shrugged. "Since they knew that acting was all I ever wanted to do since I was a young kid, they helped me as much as they could"

"Lucky you" I mumbled in annoyance. "My parents are having a hard time adjusting to this new lifestyle. It was difficult at first to persuade them to let me do this, but I think their finally realising that I'm growing up and need to make my own decisions and learn from my own mistakes"

"Every parents different. I have a few friends whose parents didn't let them act or sing at first. One of them being Kasen Rayes"

"Shut up. Kasen Rayes!" I exclaimed. "As in the Kasen Rayes from the boy band Peridot!"

"Yep" he grinned, seeming amused at my excitement." He's actually coming on set today if you want to meet him"

"Seriously? You’re not kidding me are you?" I asked, my mouth hanging open, not believing him.

“The whole band is coming. They've got a cameo appearance in the movie so they've got a meeting today with Harry"

I stopped walking abruptly while he still walked on. Once he discovered that I wasn't walking alongside him he turned to see me gawping at him.

"Aileen?" he waved a hand in front of me, a worried expression playing in his features.

"Peridot are in the movie with us?" I asked, barely above a whisper, not believing what he just said.

"Yeah" he said slowly, not sure what had caused my weird behaviour.

I broke out of my trance, a huge grin breaking out and I instantly jumped up and down on the spot, shrieking with delight.

Danny, not expecting the abrupt outburst, jumped back in surprise. "I'm guessing you’re a huge fan of Peridot then"

I didn't pay much attention to him as I stayed jumping up and down on the spot, excited at the prospect of working with Peridot. Luckily there weren't any people wondering about, otherwise I think I probably would have had some weird looks headed my way.

"Okay, calm down, we don't want to be late heading back to set" Danny laughed.

I managed to calm down and we continued our walk back to set. "It’s weird; I don't remember a reaction like that when you first met me?" Danny joked and I could feel my cheeks heating up- and not because of the sun. It wasn't like I could tell him that he didn't exactly make the best first impression at the premier or on the first day I met him on set, so I laughed it off.

"Don’t worry, I did the exact same thing in my bedroom when I went home that day" I joked back.

At this point we had arrived back on set. In a little booth sat the security guard, whom we have to show our passes to. We approached the security guard who looked us up and down before saying "passes" in a glum tone, obviously been a slow day for him.

Danny went to reach for his pockets as I went to search my bag but I couldn't find my pass. I looked up to see Danny with a worried expression on his face, which meant that he also didn't have his pass.

I put my hand to my head "We must have forgotten the passes back at my house"

Danny sighed and turned to the security guard. "We’ve actually forgotten our passes but its okay Harry Williams knows us, so if you'll just let us through" Danny made a move to walk past him but he placed his hand on Danny’s shoulder, preventing him from going anywhere.

The security guard just laughed. "Your not going anywhere without your passes"

"But I'm Danny Thomas, I'm working on this movie" Danny tried to explain to him but this made him laugh even harder.

"Yeah right, and I'm Zac Efron" his expression turned serious all of a sudden. "No passes, no entry" and with that he went back to pretending to be busy in his booth, blatantly trying to ignore us.

Danny groaned and turned back round to me. This guy obviously didn't get out much if he didn't know who Danny Thomas was. I shrugged, not knowing what to do. I was usually organised and never forgot anything whenever I leave the house. Today has taught me to make sure I have everything before I leave the house.

Danny’s face suddenly lit up and he nodded at something behind me. I turned to see a golf cart. Confused, I turned back to him with my eyebrows furrowed.

He turned to face the security guard, making sure he wasn't looking, before motioning for me to follow him; he raised his finger to his lips, telling me not to make a sound.

I tried to be inconspicuous as I stared at the guard, hoping I wouldn't get caught and slowly made my way towards Danny, who was already sitting in the driver’s seat of the golf cart.

Once I was out of sight of the guard, I ran to the passenger side and Danny instantly hit the gas pedal, making it screech slightly as it started, but just enough to get the attention of the guard. So much for being inconspicuous.

The security guard got out of his booth and ran after us but we obviously got a head start since we were already moving before he caught sight of us.

I turned behind to look seeing him running after us. "Hurry, he's catching up to us" I shouted to Danny, as he pressed harder on the gas which didn't make much difference since we were already driving at the maximum speed of a golf cart- which was not very fast.

My adrenaline was high; I had never done anything like this before. I tried to breath to calm myself down which was impossible since Danny was nearly crashing into every object that we passed.

"Have you ever driven this before?" I asked incredulously, whilst trying to control my panic.

"Nope" he replied, eyes not darting away from what was in front of him.

"What?!” My eyes widened in panic, “Have you driven anything else?"

"I have never driven anything. What do you expect from a child star who is working all the time? I'm not going to have time to learn how to drive" he snapped. His hands tightening around the wheel. I think he was just stressed at the fact that we couldn't get on the set, so this was our only way in.

I turned to look behind me and the security guard had gained on us. How did he manage to catch up to us so fast?

I whipped my head round back to the front just in time for Danny to slam down the brakes as someone stood in our way. My body slammed back into the seat at the impact and then fell forward as the cart came to a complete halt. I breathed a sigh of relief as we were just inches away from hitting a scowling Georgina.

"There with me Greg" she scowled, addressing the security guard but glaring at us with her arms folded. Whatever the problem was, she didn't seem too happy about it.

We stepped out of the golf cart and I noticed Danny turn to Greg to give him a smug look. Greg had his hands on his knees, breathing deeply trying to control his breathing. His face was full of sweat as if he had just run a marathon.

Greg just scowled back before walking back slowly to his post.

I was kind of scared to look at Georgina but I pried my eyes away from Greg’s retreating figure and dared to look at Georgina, who still wore a scowl on her face.

"You do realise your late" she stated, breaking the silence.

"We know, we forgot our passes and we couldn't get through and-" I tried to explain to her but she cut me off.

"Harry is going off his head at his two main stars not showing up on time"

"Well-" Danny tried to intersect but she wasn't listening to any of us.

"And to top it off, you stole a golf cart" she shrieked. "You better get back on set, now" and with that she turned on her heel and left.

I stared at her retreating figure, stunned whilst Danny just laughed.

After a while, his laugh became infectious and I started to laugh and turned to Danny. "Oh my goodness Danny, we just stole a golf cart" I couldn't contain my laughter and burst out laughing. Never in my life have I experienced such a thing.

"I know. That was so awesome" Danny was laughing so hard, that he was finding it difficult to breathe.

"C'mon, we better get to set". So we walked to set, drunk with laughter.