Chapter One Hundred and Sixty Nine

Start from the beginning

"And there's baby," Rosalie smiled warmly, a rapid thudding sound echoing throughout the room. "Seems like they've got a nice, strong heartbeat."

"God," Sam croaked, the emotion seeping into his words. The corners of my mouth tugged upwards in a soft smile as I studied Sam, who was desperately trying to hold back tears.

"That's our baby," I whispered to him whilst on the verge of tears myself. He averted his glistening eyes down at me, bottom lip quivering as it pulled into a watery smile.

"They seem as healthy as can be, I'm not seeing anything abnormal," Rosalie assured us. I felt Sam's hand squeeze my own at her words, dipping his head to press a sweet kiss to my forehead. "From looking, I'd say you're just passing the twelve-week mark... Your due date will be around the fourth of December."

"Just in time for Christmas," Sam beamed down at me.

"Do either of yous have any questions?" she asked as she wiped the gel from my barely visible bump.

"Er, d'yer have any tips for dealing with morning sickness?" Sam inquired shyly. "She's been getting it really bad and she's not sleeping proper 'cause of it."

A fond smile grew on Rosalie's face. "So, there's a few things yer can try, dry foods are good, dry toast, crackers... ginger tends to work," she explained. "If yer find it isn't doing owt then we can prescribe some anti-sickness tablets. Just pop a call to your GP and we'll get that sorted for yer."

"That's lush, thank you," I smiled.

"I'll just print these for yous but if there's no more questions, I'll see yous again for your twenty week scan," she told us.

"Cheers," Sam beamed, eyes studying the scan photos meticulously as she handed them to him.

"Thank you," I nodded, allowing Sam to help me off the padded bed and bidding our goodbyes.

"See," I whispered as we left, curling my arm around Sam's. "That wasn't so bad, was it?"

"It feels proper real now," he admitted.

"I'm glad now it feels real," I teased.

"Y'kna what I mean," he huffed. "We've got a due date now. A Christmas baby."

"Mmm," I hummed in agreement. "You've not got any plans for the rest of the day, have yer?"

"Nah, why?" he asked gently.

"What d'ya say we gan tell wor parents?" I suggested with a grin.

"You're serious?" he gaped. I nodded. "Can we?"

"Yes," I laughed fondly.

"Ceemon then!" he beamed, tugging me along.

"Sam, slow down!" I giggled. "Pregnant woman here."

"Reet, sorry," he apologised sheepishly.