Chapter Six

please comment, you guys! i really appreciate the votes and reads but i need some advice on names and whether its cheesy or not so please comment! thanks a bunch! and sorry for the last cliffhanger!

Chapter Six

            I stumble to his side. His eyes are open, glassy, as is his mouth. I can tell, just by looking at the impossible angle of his limbs, that I am already too later. He is gone. I cover my mouth with my hand, vision swimming. I stand up hurriedly, turn, and throw up into the trees.

            I turn shakily back toward the stricken body of my brother. There are still black dots dancing in front of my eyes, and I bend over him, pushing aside his hair. I keep doing it, obsessively, I can’t pull myself away.

            It is then that I see the marks on his throat.

            They are jagged and deep, slashed viciously across his throat and neck. His entire front is stained with blood, and I wonder how I have not noticed it until now. I place a trembling hand against his throat, and withdraw it quickly as it comes in contact with the sticky blood. Nausea wells up inside of me, and I turn my head aside, to the apple tree behind me. Something catches my eye.

            Gleaming ice blue eyes.

            With the power to hold me in place for eternity, if I let them.

            For a moment, all I can do is stand stock still, staring at the eyes. Then an almost feral growl is uttered, and it is then when I completely lose it. I stumble backwards, a scream rising hoarsely in my throat. And then I am in hysterics, screaming and crying and yelling for help. The eyes disappear, and I hear a faint stirring in the treetops before everything is silent, except for my screams.

            Too silent.

            I am alone.

            I scream myself hoarse, and then sit down next to my brother, tucking my legs underneath me, and staring around in a panicked manner. I can feel my breath coming in tattered gasps, and my head aches.

            Then there’s a noise from in front of me. The sound of hoof beats. My head flies up and I stare in the direction of the noise. A man on horseback emerges from the trees. It is Jehan, the stable hand. I stagger to my feet. I have never been so happy to see anyone in my life.

            “What happened?” His question makes me stop, my mind blanking. His face echoes my shock and he walks forward slowly. I try to speak, but no noise comes out. I can feel myself swaying and my head spinning, before I fall to the ground and the world goes entirely too black for a sunny day.

*************************

            My imagination surges as my subconscious takes over. I can feel nothing, move nothing, see nothing. But my dream is vivid enough to remember always.

            I am deep inside a forest. It seems like theForest I was in before, but it is different. The sun filters through the trees and casts a bright glow over everything it brushes upon. I can hear birds singing softly, a stark contrast to the silence of theForest that I know. The path underfoot is barely existent: mosses spring up here and there, large-leafed plants hanging over the sides. The trees are as large as I remember, but there is a friendly feel to them.

            A gentle rippling sound comes from ahead, and as I approach, the shining water appears, lapping gently at the riverbank. I can feel the warm, sandy dirt underneath my feet and I stoop to touch the flowers that dot the bank. The water looks warm and enticing. I look across the river and the woods on the opposite side are quiet.

            Suddenly I feel an urge to go into the water. It is inexplicable, I know, but I slide into the warm waters. It feels wonderful, and I tread in deeper and deeper. The water laps at my chest and my skirt drags me downward. I do not mind; after all, the water can hardly grow any deeper, can it?

            And then suddenly it is washing over my head. I open my mouth for air and find nothing but the waves, overpowering and drenching. I flail wildly but my skirt pulls me ever closer to the bottom. How can this river be so deep? I cannot breathe. I cannot breathe. I cannot breathe.

            My mind is swimming, but I cannot. Black dots dance in front of my vision before I shut my eyes tightly. I open my mouth in a never-ending scream, only sufficing to fill my mouth with even more quantities of water. But then, there is a sense of peace.

            I open my eyes.

            I can see the surface. The light dances on it, sending sparkles across the top like a sunbeam. It is almost blinding… until a shadow falls across it.

            My peace is shattered, and I feel my panic rushing back, my lungs seizing up again, and my eyes closing. I can feel a tugging at my arm, but ignore it. I am succumbing to the river, I can feel its power dragging me down, but the force at my arm is pulling me upwards.

            I feel the water pulling against me as I shoot upwards. My mind is blanking, my vision going black. The last thing I see as I break surface before yielding to the consuming darkness is a pair of eyes.

            Electric green in color.

*************************

            I awake with a start, gasping for breath and covered in a cold sweat.

yeah, so. another chapter! again, thanks for the reads. remember, the stuff that happened between the stars was a dream of hers... whether or not it is important remains to be seen, doesn't it??? i'll try to hurry up writing chapter seven!