Chapter 3

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Pacing back and forth in my room, I scroll through my phone looking for evidence or answers on why I heard him call my name.

My childhood friend Zack passed away when we were in eighth grade. They say it was a suicide, but how could such a happy child do something so sad? He had amazing parents who he saw everyday, and was very wealthy. We did everything together.

After scrolling for too long, I realized this isn't something I can't figure out on my own. I have to meet the figure myself.

I slowly opened the hatch and pulled down the stairs. I coughed up some dust when something grabbed my shoulder.

I jumped and turned around, meeting eyes with Alissa. "Jesus what was that for?" I yell, holding onto my chest.

"Calm down girl, I was trying to get your attention but you couldn't hear me." She chuckles out. "What are you even doing?"

Hesitant, I finally say, "I heard Zack."

"Wait what? How could you have heard him, he's dead!" She exclaims, throwing her arms in the air.

"Thanks for the reminder." I say sarcastically. "When you were with your boy toy, I heard him say my name, and eventually as I focused myself more I saw him."

She stares for a few seconds before saying, "I want in." She looks hesitant, staring at the dusty wood stairs and dark attic, but meets eye contact with my serious face. "No way Alissa, you're not coming. I haven't checked if there's anything dangerous in there, we could have something seriously evil here."
She laughs for a minute then says, "Are you serious? Evil? There's literally nothing evil about this house."

"Alissa I'm serious. How haven't you been connecting the dots? The random goo I found in the bathroom, and how it would come back after I clean it everytime, the random hatch in my room, this whole neighborhood!" I yell waving my arms at the room. "Everybody here looks like they've just come back from the dead, even the teachers. I don't like this place and I know there's something wrong. I'm just gonna be the one to figure it out." I quickly grab my flashlight from the floor and run up the stairs, ignoring Alissa's voice calling back for me.