Chapter 14

Jiraiya had been gone for about five months, and the shinobi forces of Konohagakure had pushed about halfway into the Land of Sound. The remnants of Team Seven, Kakashi, Sakura, and Naruto, had been key players in many of the major skirmishes throughout the former Land of Rice Paddies.

Naruto's skills with the Toads of Mount Myōboku had become a decisive factor in many of the larger battles waged in the Land of Sound. Their combination jutsus and the toad's general battle prowess had turned the tide of more than a few battles. Sakura's newfound skills with medical ninjutsu had been invaluable to the Konoha war effort. Kakashi and Naruto had by now completed over a dozen high value assassination missions together, taking out key commanders in the Oto force. On top of the natural skill that actual battle builds, Kakashi and Naruto had spent a lot of free time training together. Kakashi had built his skills even more than they had been, going from being a elite jounin, to a definite low S-Rank shinobi. Unknown to even the rest of Team Seven, Kakashi had been training hard with his Sharingan, as well as increasing his chakra reserves as much as he possibly could.

At this point rumors had began to circulate, about a blond Konoha shinobi, who wreaked havoc on the battlefield everywhere he went. Almost reminiscent of a shinobi who had died years ago.

As Kakashi had warned months before, Naruto had indeed made it into Otogakure's bingo book. The blond now had his very own entry, with a bounty to boot. It was nothing crazy, but he was definitely now acknowledged in the shinobi world.

Bingo book entry-

Uzumaki Naruto- chunin

B-rank threat

Known to possess the toad summoning contract, most likely a student of Jiraiya of the Sannin, and a known student of Kakashi the Copy Nin.

Uses multiple wind and water jutsu. Also possesses ability to use the Fourth Hokage's Rasengan.

Order to all Oto nin below jounin rank, do not engage if at all possible.

Bounty- 100,000 ryo.

End of entry.

The three nin found themselves standing in the Hokage's office.

"It's likely we'll be unable to find Orochimaru in the main course of the war, for now it seems as though we will be finding ourselves in a stalemate with Otogakure. Considering it's Orochimaru's village it's likely we will find ourselves fighting against guerilla tactics." The blond woman sighed loudly leaning back in her chair. "I'd assume he has many hidden bases throughout the Land of Sound. The main village though, is still a figure head. That will end over the next two months. We have progressed close enough to begin preparations for a main assault. I'd rather have Jiraiya lead the charge, but as you know he is out on a prolonged mission. That is why you, Kakashi, will take Naruto, Sakura, and Gai, to lead the main assault on the village itself."

Naruto looked at his sensei a moment, before turning his head to the Hokage. "Ma'am are you sure you want me at the front of this? I'm not saying I don't want to go, I'm just surprised."

"Your ability to summon the toad's will be an important factor. At this point in the war it's almost a guarantee that any of the civilians that had resided in Otogakure have left. Even so, we will still try to minimize casualties. I don't want this to be a slaughter, but I do intend to have the village itself leveled and wiped off the map. At that point strategic victory will be declared, although war will not be officially over until Orochimaru has been killed. Though with the destruction of Otogakure, most of our shinobi will be able to be brought back to normal duty at the village. Hence we will be able to take the village out of full war mobilization, and halt the drain on funds and resources that war causes." The Hokage explained. "Any questions?"