You?

Today is the day. Victoria is so excited she's about to burst! Charlotee has to calm her down, while trying to pep herself up. It's not going well on both accounts.

"Can you believe I'm getting married in 20 minutes?"
"Yes! Now hold still. I'm trying to do your make up without poking an eye out."
"Sorry. I'm just so excited!"
"I know. I remember I was definitely not as excited on my wedding day."

Thinking about Declan broke her heart, but it was all she ever seemed to do. Once the make up was done, they changed into their dresses. Victoria was jumping for joy until she turned around and saw Charlotte sitting down playing with the ring on her left hand.

"Charlotte, you still wear it?"
"Its all I have left. Of course I do. When I have to meet with the lawyers to finalize the divorce, I'll give it back. I shouldn't keep it if we aren't together anymore. Its just nice being able to look down and think about him."

Victoria nodded and they got ready for the ceremony. When Victoria looked through the doors, she didn't see Declan. She figured he wouldn't show up, but thought it was worth a shot. Charlotte walked out first, smiling for her friend. Then came Victoria, who looked gorgeous. Andrew agreed judging by the grin on his face. They wrote their own vows, and were so excited when the time came to read them.

"Victoria, I know it took us a little while to get here, but ever since the day I met you I knew I was in love with you. I vow to always spend time with you, to always love you, to put up with your moodiness, and always look out for best interest."

"Andrew, when I first saw you, I was so scared to talk to you. Once I did, I knew I made the best choice ever. I vow to listen to you complain about whatever. I vow to love you forever, and to love you and only you. I vow to always take care of you, and be by your side."

"By the power vested in me by the state of California, I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss the bride!"

Andrew leaned in and kissed Victoria. Everything was perfect for the two. Charlotte was so happy, but couldn't bring herself to celebrate with everyone else. She looked over and saw Andrew and Victoria having their first dance, looking as happy as ever. She sat at the bar drinking and thinking about everything. Suddenly she felt someone sit next to her. She knew it was a guy, so she didn't bother looking up. She didn't want anyone else but Declan.

"I'll take a vodka."

Charlotte knew that voice. That was Declan. She immediately looked up and saw Declan softly smiling at her. She hesitantly smiled back.

"Hello, Charlotte."
"Declan, what are you doing here? If it's about the divorce papers, my lawyer should be sending them to yours any day now."
"No I'm not here about that."
"Oh. Well whatever it is, I wanted to give you this back. I've been meaning to, but I haven't been able to let go. It's all I have left, and it's nice to remember you sometimes. Whenever I see it and think about you though, all I can think about is how it ended. Here."

She slid off her wedding ring, and handed it to Declan. Her eyes were tearing up, so she looked away while she wiped them away. Declan sighed and put it in his pocket. He reached into his jacket and pulled out his. She smiled looking at it. He gave it back to her.

"Thanks. Victoria came to my job. She invited me and said we should talk. We're obviously miserable ending things the way that we did. I've been a wreck. She tells me you have been too. She also told me that you haven't gone to work in four weeks so I got worried. Could we go somewhere private and actually talk about things?"
"Sure. Let's go."

They walked into the hallway. Charlotte's heart was racing, and Declan was proud of himself that he didn't throw himself at her. She was looking as beautiful as ever in that long emerald dress.

"What did you want to talk about?"
"Charlotte, I just want to know why. Why would you go behind my back and date him? What did he have that I didn't?"
"Declan, I wasn't dating him. You have it all wrong. No one can compare to you."
"You weren't dating him? It sure seemed like it when you canceled our date so you could go out with him. And those mushy words of affection he wrote in your magazine that you approved to be released. Everyone who reads your magazine thinks he's your new boyfriend. And everyone who knew we were married, thinks you left me for a better offer. Do you know how stupid that made me look? I bragged about my perfect wife all the time! I loved you!"

Charlotte couldn't help but cry now. She looked at Declan and his eyes were teary, but he wouldn't let them fall. She knew he at least deserved an explanation.

"That's not it. Here's what really happened: I had to spend a lot of time with him to train him. He got the feeling that I didn't like him, and he was right. He said that if we hung out outside of the office, I might get to know him better and we might work better together. He invited me to dinner for his first review. I told him I had plans, but he wouldn't stop. So to shut him up, I said okay. I figured if we could work better together, why not? It was strictly work."

"Strictly work huh? Then why the hell was he so lovey and why did you approve of it?"
"All my employees call me Ms. Aplin. I didn't get the chance to tell them about the last minute wedding, and for those who have been there forever it was easier. I didn't get to proof read it, because he came into my office to thank me for publishing his first article. He didn't know I was married, until he tried to kiss me and I stopped him."
"He tried to kiss you?"
"Yes. To me it was strictly work, but he must have had a different impression. We straightened it all out though. It was the day you left. Right before I came home."
"Then why would you cancel our plans to go out if you had no feelings for this guy?"
"Well, I considered it work. When I was single, I didn't need to check in and tell anyone who I was having dinner with when it was work related. I guess I forgot how it might have looked."
"So you aren't interested in this guy?"
"No."
"Why didn't you tell me earlier?"
"I don't know. I panicked. You left and wouldn't answer my calls. I thought you hated me."
"I did. I thought you still didn't think I was worthy enough for the Great Charlotte Aplin."
"Oh god. That stuff from the wedding? I told you I didn't mean any of that!"
"I know, but it still stayed with me. I didn't think I was worthy and then I saw that and I thought I was right. I'm sorry for not trusting you."
"I'm sorry for not telling you first."

Declan's phone went off, and he looked at Charlotte apologetically. He read the text and sighed. He looked back at Charlotte.

"I'm so sorry, but I have a crisis at work. You'd understand. Would you maybe wanna stop by later and we could finish this conversation?"
"I'd love to. Just text me."
"Okay. It was nice seeing you."
"It was."