Fourteen

A phone suddenly burst into life, shattering the silence of the dark room with its ring. Its shriek was a brief one, as it was picked up almost immediately. The woman held the phone to her ear, and did not say a word.

"It is done." A male's voice spoke on the other side of the line, and abruptly hung up with a resounding click. The woman, after hearing those three words, also hung up. Then she proceeded to pick up a second phone, whose cradle sat next to the first.

She dialed a number straight from memory, and waited while it rang. It was picked up after the second ring.

"Yes?"

In response, the woman repeated the three words she had just received. "It is done."

"Good. Then all loose ends are properly looked after?"

"Yes. The boy is dead. And there is no one else who is close enough to stop us before it is done."

"Very well. Make sure you pay your mercenary well." And the Scorpia member closed the connection.

Julia Rothman let out a faint sigh as she replaced the phone in its cradle. She really did feel a small amount of regret for killing the boy. It was pity, especially since he was an extraordinary kind of person, taking after his father in almost every way. . .

A smile tugged at the corner of her mouth. She'd get over it. The death of a child wasn't worth all that much in the bigger scheme of things, after all.

But back to business. Julia flicked on the computer screen that sat on top of her desk. She would make sure the mercenary got double his promised amount. Scare had earned it, being such the reliable killer that he was.

ararara

It was somewhat disgusting. The four men standing behind the barricade of police and Secret Service agents all shared the same thought. At the first sign of danger, everyone runs away. And now that it was all over, they all come back to stare in some kind of awe at the damage.

K-Unit, as a whole, was very annoyed. And very angry. They could understand MI6's way of thinking, but had this really been necessary?

They watched as two medics jumped into the back of the ambulance after the stretcher. They watched as the ambulance doors were closed, and the vehicle took off, lights blazing, and siren wailing. And they watched as a single, dark figure stepped around a tall building quite a distance away. His form was barely noticeable, as his dark clothing seemed to blend with the dark gray brick pattern of the building.

However, K-Unit saw him.

They saw the man lift a hand in acknowledgment. Wolf lifted his own hand in response, and watched grimly as Scare stepped back around the building, and disappeared.

ararara

"It's done," the male voice said for the second time that day. "Alex Rider is dead."

"Good, thank you," Algonthin blinked. He cast a quick glance to Alan Blunt, who was sitting in the chair across the desk. "Any problems?"

"None at all. It went as planned."

"Excellent. I will talk to you later, Scare." Algonthin hung up, his long, thin fingers seeming to hesitate before drawing back. He turned a little in his chair so that he could meet Alan Blunt's gaze straight on.

"So Alex is dead, hm?" The Head of MI6 murmured, more to himself than anyone else. He folded his hands together in his lap, and focused on the Deputy Head. "Might as well call her in, Algonthin."

In response, Algonthin tapped a button on the phone. Leaning in slightly, he said, "Send Miss Starbright in, please."

Moments later, the door opened slowly, and Jack Starbright stepped through. She took a moment to close the door softly, then quietly sat down in the one empty chair. Both men took a moment to take her in.

Her clothes were neat, her hair combed, and her face washed. It looked like she was completely composed, which, both men noted with some surprise, was a major change from before. She looked up at them, with tired, hopeful eyes. "Have you found him?" she asked softly.

"Yes," Blunt answered immediately. "Yes, we've found him."

"You. . ." She went still for a moment. Then it was like she became a totally different person. Her eyes lit up, and she came alive. "You found him?! Where is he? Is he all right?"

Both members of MI6 seemed to flinch at the outburst of questions. Blunt rubbed his temples, and wished that he had a peppermint. Its too-sweet taste seemed to have a bit of a calming effect on him.

"Algonthin?" Blunt looked over to the tall, thin man.

Algonthin blinked. Leave it to me, will he? He thought to himself with some irritation. He knows very well how much I dislike this type of thing. With an inward sigh, he noticed that gaze of hers, so hopeful and worried. Well, might as well get it over with.

"Miss Starbright."

"Yes?" She leaned forward.

"Alex Rider is dead."

"Huh?" She froze, her eyes growing impossibly wide. "Wh-what did you say?" Her voice was nothing more than a shocked whisper.

"You heard me," Algonthin replied calmly. "And due to the circumstances, I'm afraid that you, Jack Starbright, will have to die as well."

She could only stare.