Chapter 1

Michael drew up outside the Hunter Russell Moore office and put the car into park. Turning to his wife he captured her face in his hands and kissed her, "Good luck on your first day as junior partner beautiful. Call me when you're ready tonight and I'll come collect you." Allie kissed him back and placed her hands over his, "I love you, tell you all about it later". Michael released her and watched her walk into the building before driving around to his own office a couple of blocks away. He had a heavy day ahead, having recently been promoted himself to full partner status.

Allie walked into reception stopping to ask the receptionists Sara and Everley if they'd had a nice weekend. She dropped her bag at her desk and went in search of coffee and Daniel. It was early so not many staff were around, but she could see Daniel in his office. He looked up as she came in and grinned, "Hey, I love the way we're both early for our first day post promotion." Allie laughed as he pulled her in and kissed her cheek, " Won't last. Before I forget, I've got Emmie's Bunny in my office, she left at our apartment." Daniel smiled, "Good job it wasn't Foxy or I'd have been asking one of you to do an emergency drop off last night because she'd never have gone to bed without him. Come on let's grab coffee while it's quiet."

They took the mugs back to Daniel's office and sat at the meeting table. "So spill Allie, Robyn and Jeremy, what's the story?" Allie smiled, "Ooooo I know, all moving along nicely I think based on how they were yesterday." Daniel laughed, "I hope the dog approves. Did you say he'd been married before?" Allie nodded, "yeah". Daniel tilted his head, "How did you find that out? Jeremy never lets anything slip. If I hadn't seen the dog I'd have thought he lived at the hospital!" Allie grinned, "We used to chat in all those weeks I spent hanging out at the hospital." She looked more serious, " He's a really lovely person Dan, it sounded like he and his ex didn't part amicably, and I really think he and Robyn are well suited you know." His face softened, "Agreed Allie. But you've got to let me tease her just a tiny bit."

Allie laughed as Max came in, "Morning beautiful people." She got up and kissed her boss, "Morning Max. I'd better go log on now I'm coffee'd up. Max stood behind Daniel and leaned on his shoulders, "See you in thirty for your first partner meeting Allie. And can you swing by Carly if she's in, I wanted your opinion on the Phillips case, there's a couple of subsidiaries in the UK." Allie nodded leaving, "No problem. I'll take a look and book thirty minutes in your diary when you're free."

Max took the seat Allie had vacated, "So Robyn and Jeremy!" Daniel laughed, "That's exactly what I just said to Allie. She knew of course." Max grinned, "That girl has a knack for drawing folk out and he's not exactly an open book." Daniel shrugged, "Neither's Robyn so Allie thinks they're well suited." Max stood up, "Well, he saved Allie's life and took really good care of her, so as far as I'm concerned the guy walks on water. Catch you at nine thirty Dan."

Allie was going through the Phillips file when Daniel called to get her for the partner meeting. "Ready?" he asked sticking his head in. " Allie nodded and grabbed a pen and notebook following him through the door to the boardroom. He gave her free hand a secret squeeze before they went in, knowing she felt a little nervous some of the other partners thought she'd got her promotion on the back of her close relationship with Max rather than her ability. Both Dan and Max had assured her that wasn't the case and she accepted what they were saying, but she knew a couple of the partners weren't convinced she'd earned her place. The reality was that Allie had delivered in cold hard cash. Many of the firm's clients either did business with UK entities, or had UK businesses themselves. Allie's extensive UK experience meant in many cases the firm could now handle the whole case from L.A. without waiting for the busy London office to pick up on their side. This made HRM faster, lower cost and more efficient than their competitors, and they'd picked up new clients as a consequence. As an added bonus, since EU and UK law were broadly still aligned, Allie could also often break the back of any European angles to a case.