Chapter 28: Control Your Emotions

Estela kept the locket on her at all times, wearing it around her neck underneath her school robes. She didn't feel safe leaving it anywhere else. And it may have been incredibly stupid, but she just felt the need to have it on her person until she returned it to Salazar's hidden room.

Yes, she'd made the decision to take it back to where it would be safer. The last thing she wanted was for Riddle to discover it and claim it for himself. She knew the locket held immense power; she could feel it as it swung around her neck, and she wasn't going to let Tom harness even more power than he already possessed.

She had discussed the matter with Dumbledore briefly during one of their meetings. Estela had asked him to keep it safe, but Dumbledore suggested that the safest place for it would by Slytherin's lost room.

She was certain that, at some point, Tom would find it no matter where she tried to hide it. She knew he would. So she committed to keeping it safe with her instead.

Estela was in the Great Hall eating breakfast when Anthony took a seat beside her. "Morning. Have you seen Dumbledore yet?"

"No, why?"

"I ran into him last night on my way back to the Common Room and he said he wanted to see you sometime today. Something about your extended Transfiguration project?"

"Oh, right, yes. Thank you." She said swiftly, picking up a spoonful of porridge.

"What's the transfiguration project you're doing then?" Anthony asked her curiously.

"Oh, well... it's a very hard transfiguration process... Very complex..." she lied, somewhat.

"Well if anyone can do it, you can," Anthony said encouragingly.

She smiled at him halfheartedly. She wasn't so sure about that.

After breakfast, Estela made her way to Dumbledore's office. "Ah, Estela, come in, come in. I'm sorry I haven't had time to discuss the matter at hand with you for a while, but I have been very busy with business at the Ministry. Grindelwald is becoming more and more unruly."

"It's fine, Professor, I'm sorry to hear that matters are getting worse."

"Yes, well, as am I..." He said distantly. "Anyway, you know why I have brought you here, how are things coming along?"

"Well... Things are the same really, professor. In fact, I may have made things worse somehow... But Riddle is in better spirits about the matter than I had expected."

"And is he beginning to show change?" asked Dumbledore, watching her over his glasses.

"Just the usual things. He still acts differently around me, which I suppose is a good sign." Dumbledore nodded very slowly before he seemed to be thinking for a while before he spoke.

"Estela, I hate to push you, but I do think that the whole process has been "the same" throughout most of the school year, don't you agree?" Estela nodded shyly. "Again, forgive me for being pushy, but I would like you to really focus on this task. I hope you know just how important it is, and that the very future of the Wizarding World as we know it is at stake."

"Yes, Professor." Said Estela quietly, but inside she thought to herself, what else could she do? Did she need to throw herself in front of him in the corridor? Barge into his dormitory? Spontaneously appear in his shower? She kept a tight lip, though, and listened to Dumbledore continue.

"I picked you for this task for a reason..." Dumbledore began. "You and Tom's futures and intertwined with one and other. You are destined for a great purpose. You are, as they say, two sides of the same coin."