Story of the Valentines'

The origin story of lilacs has always been woven around forbidden love, there are many stories to it and we can never argue which one is correct. However, the fascinating ones are always mythical events or legends that have no proof of being true but definitely form a hair rising story to tell. The lilac flowers, beautiful, soft, elegant and pretty are the one of many flowers' who ushers the beginning of spring. They are the early-bloomers and their stories are also woven around this fact. Now as I have mentioned earlier, there are many stories about it's origin but I have this personal favourite one about a beautiful tragedy of love. Let's read it then, shall we?

The story brings us to the 1640's when the Portuguese were the sworn enemies of the Spaniards. It is believed that during those times Portuguese traders built ranch houses in India, near India that is, and employed their younger daughters to look after them. One such trader built a ranch house and gave it to his daughter Beatriz. Beatriz loved lilac flowers, which were then known as "Blue Pipes", and she named the ranch house "Blue Pipes". Now that ranch house was the most beautiful one you might have ever seen.

It's entrance path was a clean brick road lined by small pebbles and neatly trimmed grass. When you reach it's gate, you will see two beautiful white lilac trees guarding it. Once you enter you will be greeted by a beautiful garden. On the right side, you will notice the clean horse stables and looking ahead you will be met by the perfectly architected clean and neat ranch house. The garden is beautifully maintained and has many pretty flowers amidst the lilac trees and shrubs. Once you enter the house you can see lilac flowers at nearly every window sill and their sweet smell will leave you admiring them as you notice the usual bustle around the place. Very soon you can hear the sweet, honey voice of Miss Beatriz, Just like her name, her presence makes the ranch house the most joyous place in the world. Outside in the field, you can see the ponies, falcons and horses going about their merry lives.

This story brings us to "Blue Pipes during early spring and you can see the blue, white and purple lilacs blooming and making nature even more beautiful. Everyone is filled with the happy and joyous spirit of spring and all have found new hope to live. Winter is over and the flowers are blooming, animals are no longer hibernating and everyone is filled with joy, as they sniff the sweet smell of flowers in the cool spring air. One such merry day Beatriz visits the shadow mountain which, unlike it's name is filled with lots of colours.

As she sits on a rock to observe the gushing waterfall and lilacs, she notices a small hut, a few feet further with signs of life. Does this hut, up in this lonely place have any life? Yes! It has. It has now been inhabited by Derek Valentine one lonely Spaniard who had to flee his homeland for his safety. Has he noticed Beatriz? Yes! He has and he was captivated by the beauty of this charismatic young lady. As Beatriz and Derek eventually met, they slowly fall in love, a forbidden one, because none would approve of them. Even though they knew that very well they were now trapped in the maze of love, which was so strong, that they could not get out of it. Beatriz knew about Derek's life and she was very much careful to not mention him to anyone. Derek being an artistic man, made pictures in his lone time and he, had drawn his love of his life, Beatriz many times. Derek had a faithful friend back in Spain and asked him to bring his huge inherited treasure and hid it. He wanted Beatriz to inherit his treasure and was hoping to tell her when suddenly, life took a turn.

Derek Valentine's greedy enemies, thirsty for gold and treasure, found his whereabouts. Derek knew that his life was in danger and by no means did he wish for his treasures to fall into the wrong hands. So, he wrote a letter to Beatriz giving her clues about his treasure. Derek had to keep cover and so he could not give his letter to Beatriz. Once he managed to send Beatriz the information, but Beatriz sensing enemies around hid the letter in the huge oil lamp of the ranch. The enemies got hold of Derek's pictures and found Beatriz. They tried repeatedly to acquire information about "The Valentine Treasure from Beatriz but failed.

Thus, annoyed by the power of the two and Beatriz stubbornness they decided to play no longer and one unfaithful night, the enemies bought Derek into the ranch and treacherously murdered him. Blood splattered all over the beautiful ranch and Derek's dying screams brought Beatriz out. Seeing her love, dead, her heart went stone cold and as if winter had set into her body she fell dead.

The murderers were never caught and the treasure was never found but that spring no one rejoiced. The lilacs did not bloom and although spring came and went by as nature's rule, winter never left the ranch house.

This rather beautiful, melancholic, patriotic and tragic story at "Blue Pipes" may or may not be true, but this story of Beatriz and Derek Valentine brings us these two very important lessons, one, that magic of true love does not always provide a happy ending, therefore we must choose very carefully as life is short and it does not give you many chances, if Beatriz stayed away from Derek she would not die, but she chose her love over her life and although to our eyes she may have perished she stayed true to her heart and followed her beliefs no matter what, their love was so strong that although foolish to others it was happy and memorable for them, proving that her choice was strong, and the second lesson being, no matter how hard you try you will never be successful by cheating and violence, the murderers were not caught but they did not succeed in inheriting the treasure, also proving that being honest and peaceful is the best way to go. In the light of comparison, Beatriz and Derek's life was much better than their enemies.

Dear reader, such a tragedy may not happen at this day, in this age but the moral always was, is and will remain prevalent for all the years to come. So, be wise and follow it. That's the story for today, be honest and be peaceful. Toddles!!❤