Magic Reveal - A Story by @wdhenning

Magic Reveal

by wdhenning

The Magic came as a sweet irony. Our bonds of slavery became our means to freedom.

"Do you feel it, young one? Do you see the very fabric of reality?" With hands clasped behind my back, I watched her manipulate the iron-nickel rod that floated before her, twisting and folding it into various geometric shapes. The dark-haired girl, not quite yet a woman, was one of my better students and soon would be ready to join the Resistance Force.

She smiled. "I do, Master." With a turn of her hand, the metal formed into the shape of a butterfly. The overhead lights glinted off the shiny surfaces as it fluttered about.

"Well done." I grinned at her artistry. "Remember, in the Aether are all possible outcomes. That which is observed may be altered." I pointed. "Try to change your butterfly to a different metal, copper perhaps."

She twisted her hands, grimacing. The metal butterfly contorted into a dull blob and fell to the floor with a clunk. She turned to me, a look of disappointment on her face.

I lifted my hand. The butterfly reformed. Its outward appearance transformed to a reddish-orange luster. Her jaw dropped as it flew and lit gently upon her extended hand.

I put a hand on her shoulder. "Compared to telekinesis, elemental transmutation is a deceptively difficult task. We call what we do Magic, but the laws of thermodynamics still apply. Changing the composition of an object requires an enormous movement of energy into or out of the Aether. That is something difficult to achieve, but you will."

Our newly terraformed world and surrounding solar system were particularly rich in valuable metals, which drew the Dynasty's attention. The engineered virus they unleashed was meant to make us dependent. Only they had a serum, which would be withheld if we did not comply with their draconian regulations. But the virus changed us in an unexpected way. We gained the Magic, each to a varying extent. Some believed the virus mutated and unlocked latent abilities in our genetics. Others thought the unique chemical makeup of our world was a factor. Nobody knew for sure.

A beep came to my communicator. "You will have to excuse me. Our unwelcomed guests have arrived."

Governor Ming, wearing the black and silver robe of her office, motioned me over as I arrived at the space command center. Normally quiet, it now buzzed with activity. The main screen depicted an impressive armada of warships circling our planet, including a massive dreadnaught, the Dynasty's most fearsome ship.

I tilted my head to her. "I take it the Dynasty did not appreciate our earlier declaration of independence?"

She grinned. "Not at all. They have already issued an ultimatum: stand down for occupation or be fired upon."

A technician seated before a control panel announced, "Governor, the dreadnaught is charging its weapons array."

I flexed my hands. "Perhaps, it is time for the Magic reveal. They have no idea what comes."