Episode 18 "The Blonde in the Game" Part 2

ابدأ من البداية

I nod as Hodgin comes over to us, "I found traces of ethylene oxide and high levels of an antibacterial agent on Sarah's ankles. Also, polymer residue found in latex glove liners used by people who handle toxic substances." I give examples, "Airport screeners, cops..." Booth then says, "Wait... Prison guards?" Zack then comes over to us, "Lauren Hathaway was a nationally ranked junior golfer in 1997." We then hear Booth on the phone, "Yeah, it's Booth. I need to know if Howard Epps ever had a prison guard by the name of Reiner Hatin." Zack continues, "She disappeared on May 9th, after leaving the Southampton Country Club in Raleign, North Carolina." 

Booth then says, "Check and see if any guard changed his name." I then add for Booth, "Reiner' is German for 'pure.' Epps has a thing about that." Booth nods, "Translate the name and see if that comes back in any form, then you get back to me. That's the victim from the park?" Zack then looks at Temp, "Her father is in your office." We all look at him, "What?" Booth adds, "Why didn't you say that?" "Uh, uh, you were on the phone." Temp looks at us, "Booth, Ven. I can't do this one. Maybe Angela can help." I look at Booth and give him a small nod. "All right, we'll take care of it."

I am now with Angie, Booth and Mr. Hathaway in her workspace as he says, "My wife died five years after Lauren disappeared. I think, because she just gave up hope. Part of me is glad she's not here today for this. I nod, "We're sorry for your loss, Mr. Hathaway." Angie adds, "For both your losses." Booth then says, "When Lauren disappeared, the police originally suspected her golf coach. Yes, he'd had an affair with one of his students the year before. Ironically, his alibi was that he was with another student." "Does the name Reiner Hatin mean anything to you?" "No." 

Angie then shows him an image of Epps. "Do you recognize this man?" "No. I'm not helping, am I?" I shake my head, "That photograph is current. Angela will show you some drawings that show what he might have looked like ten years ago." Angie hands him the drawings as he looks threw them. "Hmm... Yes, that one. He was a-a greenskeeper at the club. He helped us load the car one day. I remember because he told Lauren she looked just like his mother when she was young. It was an odd thing to say. I told the police about it when she disappeared. Why didn't they arrest him?" Angie, Booth and I looked at each other.

-No One POV-

Booth is walking with Cam as he says, "Caroline Epps, she knows something. She just won't talk to me." "Why?" "I'm a man, last time I checked." "But she'll talk to a woman?" "That's my thinking." "Fine, I'll do it." "Oh, no, you can't sarcasm it out of her. You have to connect. You don't want to send Brennan?" "No. Angela." "Angela is an artist, an expert in 3-D reconstruction." "Well, unlike you and Bones, Angela is, uh..." "What?" "She's better with the living than she is the dead." Then how about Venus? She looks good enough to do it and could also connect with her?" "No. She shows that she is doing okay, but if we push her a bit more into this... she will break and that's not something I want. And I don't think Mrs. Epps would want to see a woman who her husband loves to fantasy about." "Mm... I see... Fine, I'll go tell her what she's just volunteered for." "Thank you."

Angela and Caroline are at the Royal Dinner as they entered. Angela then says, "Thanks for coming." "I've told you people everything I know. I-I don't see the point of this." "I know this is disturbing. I find it very upsetting, and I'm... not married to the man who did it." "I love Howard, Ms. Montenegro." "I believe you." "No one's ever said that to me." "I think you'd have to love him very much to be willing to overlook what he's done." "Done in the past." "The thing is... we're not so sure that it was in the past. For Howard, it's obvious what he likes. Blonde girls." "Not, me you mean." "Men can't hide what they like. For Howard, it's this." "Men can change what they look at." "Does Howard ever just look at you? So you just feel his eyes adoring you?" 

Caroline thinks about and shakes her head in disappointment. "He... he asks for magazines, DVDs. He's... he's very specific." "He likes blond girls." "Always the blond girls... But... but... he does sometimes ask me to find a picture or photograph of a girl named Venus Brennan. She has brown hair... or... or... m-maybe if I... if I dyed my hair..." Angela gives her a sad look saying that it wouldn't matter, "I'm sorry, I have to ask you something. Have you ever delivered any messages for Howard?" "Don't you miss them?" "I'm sorry?" "I wrote the message, 'Don't you miss them?' on a... on a.. on a piece of paper and slipped it into a mailbox." "Whose mailbox?" "A man named Henry Gerber, who Howard know from prison. Howard calls Henry the Mad German." "When did you deliver the message?" "Five days ago." "Thank you." Angela was about to leave as Caroline stops her, "Can-can... Will you sit with me just a moment longer?" "I'm... I have to make a phone call. You understand? But after that, I'll sit with you... as long as you like." Caroline nods as she waits for Angela to make a call.