Chapter 1: Home

The moon was full and bright and I wasn’t just seeing the images that the Gnome had implanted into my head. No, this was the real thing. I groaned and stepped out of my pod. “Wha-what’s this?” I ask myself. I’m surrounded by rubble and my Gnome are gone. What happened?

I climb over some rocks to see a group of people. I knew them, but not personally. Robin, Boy Wonder. Aqualad, apprentice to Aquaman. Kid Flash, apprentice to the original Flash. And Superboy, the clone of Superman. I saw them talking to each other, and when I was about to step out of my hiding place, a flash came into my mind. A woman.

She had black hair, tan skin, and green eyes. The name mother and Selina Kyle flashed into my mind. I clutched my head and gave a little yelp. When I opened my eyes I felt my internal compass lead me away from Catmus. I flew threw the air and landed on the nearest building and quickly following my instincts until I came to a red brick apartment complex. I climbed the fire escape till I reached a certain window. It slid open with ease. “Hello?” I called.

“Who’s there?!” A stern voice called out. “Selina Kyle?” I questioned. She came out of the shadows holding a crowbar. “How do you know my name and why are you here?” I tried to walk towards her but she lifted the crowbar higher, causing me to stop. I sighed.

“I’m not sure what my name is, but my project name is Cat-Call.”

“Project name?” I nodded at her shocked face.

“The company Catmus created me from your DNA, along with some other things, to make me the ultimate weapon against almost any adversary I should face that is earth born.” I looked her dead in the eyes. “In other words, I’m your daughter... in a way.”

Selina dropped the crowbar and ran to hug me. “This is perfect!” She said joyfully. I was shocked. “Really?”

“Of course. That dumb Batman hasn’t fallen for my tricks ever since that Boy Wonder came into the picture. Now,” She held me at arms length to look me up and down. “With you the playing field will finally be even again.” She winked. “Besides, I’ve always wanted a daughter to spoil. Now come here. Let’s get you out of that and into some real clothes.” It was then I’d realized that this whole time I’d been wearing a black unitard. “Ah! This is perfect!” She pulled out a black skirt and a white sweater.

“By the way, how old are you?” I looked down at the clothes in my hands. “I-I don’t know. I’d guess around thirteen or so.” She looked me up and down and nodded. “Well. Put those on and I hope you don’t mind sleeping on the couch tonight. We can talk more in the morning.” I nodded and changed.

Sleeping on the couch wasn’t as bad as I’d thought it would be. It was actually very comfy and plush. I hummed as I fell asleep.

“Hey, it’s time to wake up.” I was nudged and nudged until my eyes opened to see Selina shaking me. “Selina.” I said, sitting up. “Please. Call me mom. You’re gonna have to after what I just did.”

“What?” I asked. She gestured to a packet that was on the table. It had a long that I was not familiar with. I opened the packet and gasped. Selina had enrolled me into Gotham Academy! The name listed for me was, Ruby Maraschino. Then listed under the parents column I read, Macy Maraschino(mother).

“Those will be our names for when you go to school.” She took a sip of her drink. “Now, allow me to run you through what we’ll be doing before you do anything else.” I nodded and joined her at the breakfast table. “First things first is buying you new clothes, bras, and underwear. Then, getting you a costume but that goes with part one. Second, you’ll need to go to the academy and take an IQ test to see where to place you. Thirdly, I need to teach you all that I know about the Bat and Bird. And lastly, we need to steal the Cat’s Heart necklace. And all of this needs to happen before the start of school.”

“I understand... Mom.” It was kinda awkward to call her mom, but I liked it. “Good, now put on some sock and shoes and we’ll go shopping.” I flew out of my chair and into Sa-I mean Mom’s room to grab what I needed. I’d heard of shopping before. It was the bonding time between friends... and moms.

“I’m ready!” I said, as I slipped on the black boots that I took from Mom’s closet. “Good, come on, we have to get to it before all the good shops close.” I nodded and happily followed.