Behind The Mask (o1)

He was always there. He never left, only when we closed. He sat in the same position every day, and purchased the same meal every time he came. And every day, I sat at the register and watched him.

He never talked, he never did anything. He didnt even eat his meal.

I tried talking to him once, but he didn’t respond, which lead me to think that he was mute.

I didn’t know his name or how old he was, but I guessed he was about twenty. Maybe he was younger, but no older. I liked to call him Spencer, and that’s what everyone at work called him.

The world seemed to move around him, but in his world, time just didn’t move.

“Hi! How can I help you?” I said, trying to sound as upbeat as possible. I stood behind the aging register. My hands were already placed on the multicolored keys, knowing what he was going to order.

“A large coke, small fries, and a hamburger please.” He said in a quiet voice, not even bothering to make eye contact.

 I slowly repeated his order in my head and a small smile formed on my plump pink lips. He ordered the same thing every day, even the workers in the kitchen knew to prepare it ahead of time before he even arrived.

“Alright, that’ll be five dollars and fifty cents.” He handed me the exact same change needed and I gave him his receipt in exchange.

His eyes were a clear shade of blue, almost like a glass of water with a hint of blue in it. He walked away to the same corner near the window. I didn’t see what was so special about it. It didn’t have a good view, only of an alley way that turned dark and dangerous at night. I was always advised never to take that shortcut to my apartment. Chances were, I’d get assaulted in there.

I went back to kitchen where a couple of other works were reheating his dish.

Tuesdays weren’t busy days. The major chain restaurant down the block was slowly taking away our business. Only Spencer and couple other loyal customers still ate at the Ma and Pa run restaurant I worked at.

“Jodelle, the order is ready.” Another one of the workers handed me a tray filled with contents.

“Thanks, Parker.” I said, taking the grey tray from him.

As I slowly walked over to him, I noticed that he was staring intently at something outside. He often stared into space, at nothing in particular.

 “Here is your order.” I said once I reached his table. “Would you like anything else?” He didn’t respond. He never does so why should he talk to me now? I

I backed up slowly, making sure I wouldn’t trip on anything. No such luck exists. I slipped on a wet patch on the floor, falling straight on my bottom.

“Ouch.” I mumbled to myself, dusting my butt off but remaining on the ground. Spencer didn’t giggle or laugh. He didn’t even bother to look at me!

“You okay?” Parker extended a hand for me to take. He was the owner’s only son, and the most liked employee.

“I’m fine.” I replied, taking his hand and pulling myself up. Thankfully I hadn’t gotten wet or anything.

“Be careful, the floors are slippery. Manny just put the sign up.” I look past him, and sure enough there was a bright yellow sign that said, “Wet Floor.” I smiled at my own stupidity. “Speaking of which, can I talk to you in private?”

Oh snap, I’m getting fired! My mind started to wander off into its own mess of thoughts.

“Jodelle, Can I talk to you alone?” He repeated again. The look on his face was just like it was every other day. Nothing was different today.

“About what, Parker?” I asked him slowly pulling away from him.

“Never mind.” He mumbled, dragging me with him outside. I waited for my doom to come and for him to fire me…and while I waited, I took the time to notice he wore a black hoodie and dark wash jeans. That’s exactly what Spencer wore every day.

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

This is my first story on here so please don't be rough with the comments :) I watched the movie, "The Last House on the Left," and I was just inspiried to write something based on it.

But lets get this straight. It's not going to be entirelly like the movie. It's just based on it.  Please Vote, Comment, and Fan (: