Chapter 1

-
"YOUR NAME IS KAYLA!"
-SMACK-
"YOU ARE A GIRL!"

He shot up in bed. His eyes, bloodshot from lack of sleep, scanned the room for the threat that he knew was no longer there.

He could still feel the stinging on his cheek, his ears ringing from the words his mother, he sneered at the word, had screamed at him countless times over 5 years. The dreams were always so much more vivid this time of year. Today, October 21st, was his 21st birthday and while it should be a happy day, for him it was a day filled with painful memories.

Relaxing as his body realized his mother was not there, that there was no threat, he laid back on his mattress, his clammy hand resting on the long, sinewy scar that ran down his stomach. The scar where his mother had...

He sighed. It was over. It had been for a long time, but for some reason his body, his mind would not let him forget it.

He was free from the hell he had suffered for 5 years and as he drifted back to sleep he let the painful memories of his past wash over him...

***

*3 YEARS EARLIER*

***

"Get up!" His mother stormed in surrounded by the scent of hard liquor, "I need you to run to the store and get me some things!"

He sat up, rubbing sleep out of his eyes, "Things? What things? Oh wait, let me guess! 2 bottles of vodka, right? One for breakfast and one for you to throw at my fucking head later?" He got out of bed.

"Stop with the smart-ass mouth Kayla and get to the damn store! And while you're at it, buy yourself some better clothes! You look like a fucking dyke!"

He exhaled forcefully, exasperated, "I'm not going to change my clothes." He could feel his anger rising, "How many times do I have to tell you! My name is Kyle! I'm your fucking son!"

"DON'T YOU DARE SAY THAT!" Kyle prepared himself for what he knew was coming. -SMACK- He fell to the ground. "YOU ARE MY DAUGHTER!"

Blood dripping out of his mouth, he spat out the words, "Fuck. You."

"You ungrateful little bitch!" She kicked him hard in the stomach. "You wanna be a man? Well why don't you grow a fucking pair and stand up to your own mother first." Another kick. "Now why don't you actually make yourself useful and go get my drinks." She threw a $50 bill at him and walked out "You fucking dyke."

He took his time getting up off the floor. He walked over to his closet and looked through all the dresses, blouses, and other shit that his mother had tried to force him to wear. He found a pair of skinny jeans and pulled them up over his boxers, walking over to his dresser and pulling out a black and orange Pierce The Veil shirt.

Kyle looked up at the mirror. His lips curled up in disgust at the sight of his chest. Those... things didn't belong there. Those things that made everyone think he was Kayla, that made everyone call him Kayla.

But he wasn't Kayla, he never had been. Kyle. He was Kyle. And Kyle Varalez knew those things didn't belong there.

Everywhere he went, all he ever heard was girls bitching and complaining about their tits and how they wished they were bigger. Or about how their parents were going to pay for their boob job on their birthday.

What he wouldn't give to be rid of the C-cup burden that tortured him every time he looked in a mirror. Even when he kept them hidden from the world, hidden so that no one could ever know, he still knew. He would always know they were there.