Chapter 5 ♠️ Sweet Dreams

Jevil blinked a few times before bursting out laughing "You're desperate! Desperate!"

"Hey! I'm not the one behind bars!" You laughed back.

--------------------------------------------------------------

"You may not be! But you're as bad as me!" He said cheerfully.

You stared with a dumb smile on your face, eventually huffing and making it go away, looking around this mysterious location. "God, you're... A puzzle, truly." You said, trying to find a way to describe Jevil "You and your..." You looked at him up and down "Weird shaped tail" You finished. Jevil looked at his tail and smiled back at you "... I should probably get going though. Everyone was already eating when I got to the castle, lunch time is probably over by now, they'll wonder where I am, I'm not supposed to be here." You said, giving plenty of reasons so Jevil wouldn't feel like he was abandoned.

"Well then, farewell, my dearest Y/N" He smiled frankly, or what you thought was frankly and smiled back. You slowly backed away and started to go up the stairs, when you were a few steps up, you looked back to him to find he disappeared in his cell like usual, you wondered how he did it, but since you had no actual clue of what he can do, you couldn't even try to guess it. You got back to the elevator and went up into the first floor of the castle, where you met a co-worker of yours waiting for the elevator, he looked shocked.

"Y/N? Where the hell were you? We have been looking for you everywhere!" He said

"Oh uh, sorry, I was uh..." You tried coming up with an excuse "I was out! I was eating outside!" You laughed awkwardly. Your co-worker didn't believe you but he couldn't care less about where the hell you were eating so he just told you to get back to work before Rouxls showed up and started taking down minutes from your free time.

And so you did, you worked, worked, worked, had dinner, and worked some more. Once your job was over you plopped yourself onto your bed and groaned loudly, today had been exhausting and you were extra paranoid because of the whole Jevil thing, thinking that some random creature of the castle will have nothing better else to do than to interrogate you, asking where were you every minute of your day, which of course, didn't happen, but it was never too late.

You got out of your uniform and took a quick shower, got yourself into some comfortable sweatpants and a nice loose shirt and prepared to embrace the night. It took you a few minutes to go to sleep, around 40, it wasn't fun, but you were debating in your head if you should visit Jevil, you eventually decided no and went to sleep around 1 am, so you'll get around 5 good hours of sleep, yay.

You were in a black room, an overwhelming silence invaded the mysterious place and you felt anguish. You looked around to find no one, you then heard a shuffling sound behind you, when you turned around, you saw a purple shadow on the wall, the silhouette was changing constantly and didn't keep a still form, in front of it was a deck of cards. The shadow didn't move and you decided to check out the cards, you opened the package and looked at them when you saw a purple hand coming out from the wall, palm facing the ceiling. The shadow wanted to play with you. Confused, but determined, you shuffled the cards quickly, embarrassed of your poor shuffling abilities.

You didn't know what you were supposed to do with the cards, there are a thousand games you can play with these! But before you could decide on a game, the shadow took the cards and picked two randomly, leaving the deck in front of you, you mimicked his actions and took two cards that you kept to yourself, leaving the deck in front of you both. You had a Jolly Joker and an ace of spades.

You weren't nervous, you felt a weird feeling, this situation seemed familiar somehow. The shadow put one of his cards down, facing the floor and you put down the ace of spades. He grabbed your card and you took his, you now had a Jolly Joker and a rules card, which you thought was weird since, who the hell played with this card?

He put both of his cards down facing up, so now he had the king of spades and the ace of spades, you also put your cards down and showed your Jolly Joker and rules card. You looked at them confused as you didn't understand what was going on and stared at them for a few seconds. You looked back at the shadow to see it in a still silhouette, not changing between different ones anymore. You couldn't make out what it was though, it looked like most of his body was covered with a cape of some sorts.

You looked back at the 4 cards to see that some random cards appeared around those four in a neat and tidy way, the new cards were 7 of hearts, 2 of clubs, 5 of spades and 9 of dimes. Random numbers that covered all the different symbols. You looked back at the shadow, it was still. Curious, you looked back at the cards and your heart skipped a beat, all of the deck was thrown around in a chaotic way, all of the cards facing up, although what made you scared is that most of them had blood on them. Not droplets, but stripes across them, as if someone was cut on top of them, there were three cards that had a cross in them drawn with blood, the king of spades, the ace of spades and the rules card. There was a card completely clean, the Jolly Joker.

You stared at the scene for quite some time, thinking if you wanted to look back to the shadow, hesitantly you did and saw that it was still, you looked back at the cards to only see the Jolly Joker, confused you stared, trying to make out what was happening, your train of thought was interrupted by a laugh coming from the shadow. You looked back on reflex but before you could make out anything, it jumped onto you, immobilising your entire body. You closed your eyes in surprise and opened them in curiosity to now see the typical comedy mask usually used in theater on his face.

You gasped for air and sat up, putting a hand onto your mouth to prevent yourself from screaming and waking up the castle's residents. You stood like that for a few minutes, mind completely blank as you were in shock.

You took the trembling hand off your mouth and started to think. You never had such a vivid nightmare. Maybe it wasn't even a nightmare, maybe you went to some alternate reality, considering the magic surrounding this castle, it wouldn't be too weird. You tried to calm down, breathing deep. Eventually you decided that you were going to the kitchen to have breakfast and clear up your mind as you knew damn well you weren't going to sleep again, plus, this way you won't be late to breakfast time and you could actually have it.

You just functioned automatically. Changed into uniform, went to the kitchen and started having cereal.

You came back to reality before getting halfway through the bowl. You started to tremble.

The King, Lancer, Rouxls... You didn't want to do anything with the dream. Especially with Jevil. You were tampering with something that you didn't comprehend and therefore shouldn't be tampering with. You didn't want to imagine that scene with less cards and more living beings.

You finished your cereal and checked the time, 04:12, you didn't care.

You only cared about Jevil now. You knew your influence would only make everything worse, you gave him a reason to look forward to. That would be a good thing generally, but Jevil shouldn't be kept around if you're right about what you're speculating.

Still, it was a dream. But with what Jevil said, you didn't have much positivism.