Epilogue

Epilogue: 

"You can't go I won't let you." I murmured in his ear gripping his uniform.  

"Jazz this is what I want I will be fine." Leo said a smile on his face. His green eyes reflecting the cameo of his uniform. His thumb rubbing away the tears that rolled freely down my face.  

"No you won't you're going to leave me all alone you're going to be truly gone." I sobbed.  

"Jazz you have Zane you will be fine worry about your life not mine okay?" he asked the smiled never leaving his face. I couldn't believe he had made this choice. He was like a brother to me in all those years. Always there never leaving my side maybe even if he was popular he was always a good person at heart.  

"I know but Zane isn't you," his face faltered a bit my mind flashed back to when Leo admitted his feelings for me. I had never told him that I had overheard what he had said. To be honest I never told anyone what happened when I was in a coma. Nor would I it was something that would always stay close to me heart. The part of me that would never been seen. But then it hit me, Leo needed to know that I knew that he loved me. I had to if he died I would never forgive myself.  

"Leo," I stuttered reliving a day that had scared me for life. "I haven't told anyone this." 

"Hey Jazz tell me when I get back okay?" he said starting to pull away. 

"NO," I demanded pulling him back. "Listen," 

"Okay okay," he chuckled.  

"I was there when you told me you loved me right before I died." Leo's face was a blank mask.  

"That's crazy Jazz it's not possible." Leo's face held confusion his eyes flicking back and forth not holding my gaze.  

"I know it's not but you have to know that I do love you too but not in that way," Leaning forward I gently kissed his cheek. "You're the reason I didn't die. You're the thing that kept me here in this world, why I came back." Leo stayed speechless as I let my words unfold. 

"Jazz?" he stuttered tears welling in his eyes. Even though it tore at my heart I knew I had to let Leo go. It was his choice to join the army.  

"You will always be my best friend. Always and forever." I managed a smile finally donning my lips. I pulled him closer into a hug I never wanted to let go.  

"Always and forever." He spoke mimicking my words. M y heart hurt but I knew things would get better. Pulling away I kissed his cheek again before walking to Zane. His arms wrapping around me.  

"He will be fine Jazz he is Leo," he murmured in my ear. Leo started walking away green eyes brilliant and full of his everlasting green fire. His once long black hair short and buzzed under his hat. Bag slung over his shoulder he walked down the airport lane. Green cameo bobbing trough the crowd soon lost to the sea of green. 

THREE MONTHS LATER 

Zane and I had just snuggled down for a movie, The Greatest Game Ever Played. The leading credits had just started when my phone buzzed.  

"One sec let me grab my phone," I said picking it up and flipping open. "Hello?" I asked.  

"Jazz?" Someone asked. 

"Mrs. Taylor," To say the least I was surprised to get this phone call. 

"It's Leo," she said her voice quaking. I could tell from the way she said the words something was wrong. My good night was shattered, my heart began to hurt. Was he okay? Was he hurt? Many questions raced through my head.  

"Is.... He...Okay?" I asked. 

"Can you come over?" she asked trying to hold her composure.  

"Sure," I said uncertainly. I shut the phone with a click once Zane saw my face I'm pretty sure he understood.  

"I'll take you," he said turning off the TV grabbing his keys. As I moved towards the door I felt hollow not knowing what lay ahead. Zane had since gotten a new motorcycle. I was still nervous in a car in general but things had gotten better. I straddled the bike my new helmet twice as strong and protective. It had been a gift from Leo once I was discharged from the Hospital. 

The drive felt as if it had taken hours when it only lasted for minutes. Once his house rolled into view my heart practically stopped. Mrs. Taylor stood in the door Mr. Taylor gripping her shoulders, and Savannah Leo's current girlfriend. All of their eyes were rimmed in red. I knew the news would be terrible. Getting off the bike I slowly made my way towards them. Each step more agonizing than the last.  

Mr. Taylor extended his hand a plain vanilla envelope in his hand. The army seal closing it off left unbroken. Mrs. Taylor's eyes filled with tears before racing back in Savannah following her.  

"Leo is," Mr. Taylor paused choking on his words. "Dead," he finished. My heart snapped in two. My best friend gone, ripped away from life. It was all my fault I let him go. Tears welled in my eyes rolling down my cheeks. Zane's arms wrapped around me pulling me to his chest.  

"This is a letter we were given its addressed to you." Mr. Taylor said forcing the letter into my hands. My hands shaking like mad I took it sliding my finger along the wax breaking it. I out pulled two letters one in perfect army type the other in Leo's elegant handwriting. I read the army one first.  

Dear Ms. Ravenwood, 

Leo Taylor was fatally wounded in a bombing. But on his death bed he wrote a letter and it was addressed to you. Those were his last words he died later that night a smile on his face I hope whatever he wrote was worth it.  

Commander Scott 

Licking my dry lips I unfolded the other letter. What had been so important Leo's last words to me? Why not Savannah? The script was shaking was splashed with tiny drops of blood.  

Jazz, 

My Life for Yours, Always and Forever. 

Leo 

My tears soon made the ink smudges. His last words were to me, and those were the words we had both forged our friendship on. I couldn't look at the letter anymore but I would never let it go. It was now the only thing I had left of Leo.  

Everything in my life was already cracked now it was broken. This ever looming wave since Leo left for his tour of Iraq. It had finally crashed down upon me. It always had to break didn't it? 

To My Best Friend  

Always and Forever