"Yes," Ranfir said. "Thank you for asking. I hope we will see you back at the table tomorrow, Ambassador?"

"I hope so. I promise I am not any less concerned about your world, Ambassador, but my cousin's health is important not only to me, but to his mother."

"Naturally. I would not wish the Guardian to be worried. I am distressed enough that this has happened after His Royal Highness honored us with his presence to help my world. I am concerned that whoever is responsible meant to disrupt this conference and prevent others from helping us defeat the We'edja and restoring our world."

Political assassination had not even occurred to Sabrina; it seemed a bizarre thing to worry about on Ford's behalf. "Well, we may hope that is not so."

He smiled. "Indeed. I must take my leave now, Ambassador Devon. I hope I will not insult you by remarking that you seem tired?"

"Truth does not offend." Sabrina returned his smile almost involuntarily. There's definitely something about him, she thought. "Thank you for your concern, Ambassador t'ver Neiss. I hope to see you tomorrow."

"As do I." He bowed again and left.

The moment Ranfir was out of earshot, Ford's eyes opened. "I thought he would never leave!"

"I knew you were awake!" Thad exclaimed in exasperation.

Ford grinned at him. "I'm still recovering; you wouldn't want to endanger my health by making me utter empty civilities from my sickbed, would you? Thanks for covering for me."

Thad rolled his eyes. "You're welcome, your highness."

"Well," Sabrina said, "since you two are getting on so well without me, maybe I have time for dinner!"

"No!" they chorused, then looked sheepish.

Sabrina laughed. "I was only teasing. Go on, Thad, be my eyes and ears. The staff will bring me a tray, as usual."

"Thank you, Ambassador. I'll be back this evening if Captain Stecklan needs someone for the night watch."

"I appreciate the thought, Thad, but I can't have you falling asleep while you're doing your real job. Go on to bed," Sabrina instructed. "And that's an order."

"Yes, ma'am!" he said more cheerfully.

When he was gone, Ford said, "Chatting with Aunt Imari, were you? Just catching up on all the family gossip?"

"Sure. I'm one of her favorite people, you know," Sabrina replied in the same tone. Then she grimaced. "You know, it was very inconsiderate of you to almost get yourself killed on my mission. Certain people back home hold me responsible. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that some of them think I poisoned you!"

Ford chuckled. "I'm sure you could make a case for it being justified. Thad would testify on your behalf, certainly! So Aunt Imari called to lecture you about taking better care of me? I wish I could have heard that!"

"Just a variation on a theme. It would be extraordinarily embarrassing to the Council of Trême if the Guardian's son got himself killed in such a lamentably pedestrian way. Completely against family tradition," Sabrina said, and then winced as she remembered Rayland.

Ford grimaced sympathetically. "Our family needs new traditions," he said firmly. "Such as dying of old age. That's my intention."

"Mine too. Only when I'm doing it, I'll have you to torture!"

"Hm. I can see I'm going to have to discover the secret to immortality. I can't face your deathbed reign of terror," Ford said lightly. But she could see that she had upset him, so she changed the subject.