Viginti: Cruel Trial

Isaac's eyes shot open, he found himself within a huge temple, on top of an elevated altar with the Symbol of Azathoth etched onto it.

The room, which was easily bigger than an American football stadium, had a creepy and dark vibe to it.

At the far end of the room, a throne made of bones was sat upon by a humanoid monster that looked four meters tall, at least.

Its skin was red, along with its eyes. There were spikes on its body and a golden crown embedded on its head. The lips of the thing parted and revealed a set of sharp teeth.

"Welcome to my temple, mortal one," its speaking voice resounded through the hall even though the thing didn't shout.

Isaac didn't feel the sensation of his soul being rattled like when Cthulu was talking to him. No, the raw voice of Azathoth could spread through hundreds of meters without the use of any sound amplifiers.

Isaac frowned and his whole body stiffened up. He opened his mouth, but smacked his lips shut from fear. Cold sweat ran down his forehead as the glare from Azathoth was focused only on him.

"I heard you had a wish wanting to be granted?" it asked with an amused tone.

"Y-Yes... I do," Isaac responded with trembling lips.

"Then, like the others who desired a wish, you must undergo a test of mine. You must answer four questions, and if you correctly answer at least three of them, I will heed and grant your wish," it said and grinned, as if this situation was only child's play to it.

"A-All right... I accept," he replied with hesitance.

"Good."

Azathoth clapped his hands, then a cage appeared around the altar, trapping Isaac.

The thing straightened its back and locked its hands together. He smiled softly, then opened his mouth to ask the first question.

"Who is your God?" it asked.

Isaac's eyes widened and his head was leaned back from shock.

[My God..? I...]

"I don't worship... any God..." he answered timidly.

"Elaborate," it grinned and tilted its head upwards in arrogance.

His eyebrows furrowed and he began thinking even harder.

[Elaborate?! What the fuck...]

He breathed in and calmed himself. Isaac worshipped no God, therefore he did not follow a religion. By not following a religion, he did not comply to a set of rules normally set by a religion. This placed him in the unreligious side of the spectrum, he is neither an atheist nor a believer. After finding out supernatural creatures existed, he did not deny the existence of God anymore. In conclusion, his feelings towards religion was indifference.

"I am not an atheist or a believer of a God. I am simply living my life as I see fit. I don't want rules to restrict and control my life, because only I can decide what I do with myself," Isaac answered more calmly than before.

Azathoth made a sound of contemplation, then guffawed out loudly.

"Acceptable answer," it said and calmed itself for the next question, "What defines you?"

Hearing the second philosophical question, Isaac began thinking. He thought this question was easy. He just needed to say the obvious.

"I am a human... that can experience complex emotions..." he said, confidence swelling within, albeit microscopic.