Chapter 3: Shots fired

December 19th, 2965

5th Commonwealth Expeditionary Fleet (sponsors: Federation of Free Nations, Sojagg confederacy)

Location, Galactic Southwest (the Batarian border)

FCV Light During the Winter (Titan class vessel)

While the UNSA and VPD were in the midst of their first contact, Federation Admiral Lord Zortale of the Federation navy was about to have his own.

"More of these turning forks sir. 3 of them, all inactive" the sensor officer reported.

"Have our science ships been able to activate them?" Zortale asked. Being a Raxor (the species Raxor are a Normal #9) and an honorbound warrior, this peaceful expedition wasn't doing him and his crew much good.

"Nothing yet. Researchers within the 4th fleet believe it has to do with this new element we found but we're waiting for Alliance personnel to arrive." his XO responded.

Zortale sighs. "At Least it will be a somewhat quiet day. Status on the fleet Vanator?"

A hologram of a Mitron male appeared (Mitrons are Humanoid #3) in ancient armour.

"Other than the restlessness, all ships are at 100% operational effectiveness. The Light During the Winter, her 4 battleships and 18 cruiser ship escorts are fully ready for combat."

At that moment, one of the Turning Forks activated.

"ADMIRAL! I'm getting sensor readings from the Turning Forks! It's created some sort of....weird. Can we get one of the science ships to take a scan of this?" the sensor officer asked.

"Get one of the science ships to start scans. Order the all ships except for the science ships and their escorts to cloak." Zortale ordered. Maybe something interesting would happen.

After 40 seconds of frantic preparation, Vanator appeared again.

"The Science ship Hope has finished basic scans. According to them, the Turning Fork has created a temporary Massless corridor to another star system. Said Corridor is around 300 lightyears away from here, if their math is correct." Vanator reported.

"And its purpose?" Zortale asked.

"Well, according to our calculations, it's supposed to use that element zero to lighten a ship and throw it across vast distances. This is just a working theory, but our most plausible one." Vanator stated

"Interesting. So Doctor Vortunz's theory was correct in some way. A new type of FTL. We'll have to do some more research." Admiral Zortal Mused. "Keep the ship on red alert. All ships except the science vessels and their escorts are to remain cloaked."

Skuas cloaking devices. Technically obsolete by today's standards but it may give our newcomers the slip. Zortal mused.

They didn't have to wait long. Only 5 minutes later, the Turning Forks spat out 2 dozens vessels, then it grew to three dozen, four dozen. The numbers kept growing until it reached 120 vessels.

"Sensors, make and type of those vessels." Zortale ordered.

"Contacts reached over 120 vessels. 2 cruiser class, 14 destroyer class, 40 corvette class, 64 ships at around 100 meters in length so 1st generation corvettes. Most are carrying spinal kinetic weapons, and I'm reading that weird Element Zero on those ships." the sensor officer reported.

Zortale frowned. 120 vessels did sound alot, especially for the Science ship escorts, which numbered two heavy cruisers and a dozen escorts. "Give me a report on those weapons. Strength, capabilities, weapon types, etc."