Chapter 1

Stef's POV

*riiiiiiiing. riiiiiiiiing. riiiiiiiing.*

I woke up to my alarm on a Tuesday morning. It was 6AM, and time to get ready to go to work. I hit my alarm clock trying to make it stop, but it wouldn't. I got up, turned it off, and headed to my kitchen.
I lived on the fifth floor of Central Apartments, an apartment building in San Diego, and I worked as an officer for San Diego PD.

I poured myself a bowl of cereal and a cup of coffee.
Once I was done eating, I showered, got in my uniform, and I was off to the station.

"Hey Foster." Said my captain upon my arrival at work.
"Morning Captain." I said sitting at my desk.

"Expect a busy day," he continued, "already two emergency calls have come in and it's only 7."

"You know I'm always ready." I replied smiling. But on the inside, I wasn't smiling. I haven't been for a while. My boyfriend Paul and I had a tough breakup a couple weekends ago. But right now I had to focus on work.

Sitting at the desk across from me was my partner, Doug.

From around the corner a couple minutes later, the Captain yelled,

"Emergency call from the Central Apartments. Gun shots. Stef and Doug? You wanna take it?"

"Central Apartments? That's where I live..." I said to Doug.
"Yeah we'll take it." Doug yelled. "Let's go." He said to me.

We threw on our jackets and jumped in my cruiser. As I drove I said "I wonder what's up. I live on the fifth floor. Do you think everything's ok?"

Just as I asked that, we pulled into the back parking lot of Central Apartments, and what we saw answered my question.

There was a man around the back of the building holding a gun and threatening to shoot the guy who manages the front desk.

I slammed on the brakes and jumped out of the car.

"Drop your weapon or I shoot." I said sternly. I was too used to saying this.

"Oh ya?" Asked the man. "What are you gonna do if I don't?"

"She just said she would shoot. Now how about you just cooperate with us buddy?" Doug asked.

"No way. This guy deserves everything I'm giving to him." As he said this, he moved closer and closer to the man at his gunpoint.
I decided to step in again.

"Look, just put the gun down, and no one gets hurt. We can settle this calmly."

"Good try, but I'm not stupid." He turned to point the gun at me and started moving closer. "I know that whatever I do, the law doesn't change. So I might as well kill the guy right? And I can kill the two of you, too!"

Just then, I saw the backup that we had called for arrive out of the corner of my eye.

"I'm going to give you one last chance." I said. I started lowering my gun to the ground. "Look, I'm putting my gun down." I set it on the ground of the parking lot. "Now you can do the same." I put my hands up to surrender.

"You're a crazy bitch." He said. "And by the way, police officers are supposed to be men. How did you even get this job? Did you used to be a man?!?!" He asked sarcastically and gasped.

This comment made me furious.

"Alright, I guess we're choosing to do this the hard way." I said. "Doug?"

Doug, who was behind the perp the whole time, ran up close to him and kicked the back if his knees in. The guy stumbled a little and fell to the ground.
I put a foot on his back while Doug grabbed his gun, which had fallen to the ground next to mine. I picked up my gun and slid it back into its holder on my belt.
Another officer that had come in for backup went to the man who was being held at gunpoint to calm him down. I imagine that he asked him to come to the station and answer some questions, because the two of them got in a cruiser and left.

"You take this idiot down to the station. I'll stay here and find who called us. There might be some more witnesses, too." I said to my partner.

"Sounds good, Foster."
The two of us picked the perp up off the ground and Doug cuffed him and led him to the other cruiser that had pulled up in the middle of the action.

I then went into the lobby of the building, which I knew my way around so well because I lived there.
There were many residence freaking out and crying and asking what had happened when I got in there. It was chaos.

"Can I have everyone's attention please?" I said loudly. Most people looked at me and were quiet. I continued,
"So my partner is taking the perp down to the station. You won't need to worry about him for a while. But I do need to ask a few questions. Does anyone know who it was who called the police and reported gunshots?"

"I do!" A woman from the back of the crowd said. "She's in the apartment right next to mine. Right down the hall here, apartment 1-18."

"Thank you, I'll talk to her in a couple of minutes. One more question: Does anyone know who the man with the gun was? Any relations to him or anything?"

"He lives here!" Someone yelled. "Apartment 1-20."

"Thank you guys. Everyone can return to their business now, no need to be worried."

When everyone had calmed down a little bit, I figured I would go talk to the woman who had called 911 for a little bit. I walked down the first floor hall of apartments and came to apartment 1-18. I had never really been down this hall before. Just my hallway, the elevator, and the lobby.

I knocked on the door and started to get my notepad out. Just as I did, a beautiful Carmel skin-brown hair woman opened the door. I looked her in the eyes and felt some sort of jolt in my body. We made a kind of connection, without even saying anything.

"H-hi." I managed to get out. "I'm Ste-um...Officer Foster." I was supposed to say my whole word for word introduction as an officer to a witness, but I just couldn't get the words out right. I just stared at her.

"Hi." She said. She seemed to be doing the same thing. "Oh, um, come in!" She said.
I walked into her apartment. It was beautifully decorated and nothing was out of place. She sat at her kitchen table and said, "Make yourself at home. By the way, I'm, um, Lena. Lena Adams."

AN: Thanks for reading!! Let me know what you think of the story so far:) comment and vote! Hope you liked it. More to come;) side note: I made up Doug

Also!! I do not own The Fosters!