Chapter Twenty - Six: Who's he?

I couldn't fall asleep that night, not for the life of me. I tossed and turned and ended up bumping heads with Leandor half-way through the night. Yet, not once did he wake up. I guess he was content in the fact that he said I love you to me while he thought I was asleep.

Looking up at the ceiling for hours on end I thought again about all that's happened today. Paula, Justin, Leandor's parents.

The thought alone about Leandor's parents made my stomach twist. Something about his father made me queasy. Matthew gave me a weird vibe. The way he studied me alone was awkward and scary. The scariest part was when I joked about Leandor telling me all the time that he is the alpha. It wasn't a lie and yes, I may have said it condescendingly, but that wasn't really what I was going for. I vowed to myself that I would change my mind into staying here in the pack with Leandor as his Luna and mate. I promised myself that I'd think for myself and not let others think for me.

Just as quickly as I was thinking about Leandor's parents my mind was diverted into the direction of my sister. I wondered how she was doing. If Vincent was treating her right. I hoped he was. Out of everyone here at this pack besides Paula, he seemed the least likely to treat someone poorly. Elena couldn't have gotten a better mate than him, I could already tell.

A soft snore and a breath brushed against my cheek where Leandor's rested his head behind mine. His cement-like arm was tightly wounded around my waist. He held me like if I were his life line. Maybe I was.

It wasn't like I was oblivious to the way rival packs worked. If you capture the Luna, you've captured the pack. Sure the all nightly alpha of a pack will fight until the end but if you have the Luna and threaten to kill her you've just brought down a whole pack of wolves.... Usually.

As if stroke by lightening I just realized what I was and what I was looked at by other packs. I was just another playing piece in a game of chess. Sure I had the most moves as queen and if you take her out it leaves behind frankly one of the weakest cheeses piece behind. They have to fend for themselves.

I was now a target to everyone else that wasn't midnight shadow pack. It doesn't help either that Leandor is a ruthless piece of muscle that threatens just about anyone he doesn't like. I'm almost positive that he has enemies at least with that kind of personality. It'd really be hard not to bump heads with an arrogant asshole the size of Jupiter.

Finally able to drift in and out of sleep my body finally relaxed into Leandor's. Our bodies molded into one. It was a nice comforting feeling as odd as it may seem. Yet, I reminded myself that I would try and act more like a Luna and try to make myself realize that this was my place in life. I was meant for this and Leandor was meant to be loved by me... somehow. It still boggles my mind how I was supposed to love a monster so evil that no one wanted to come near to.

Well maybe I could change him. Maybe I could make him see the violence that he causes and uses will never get him as far as caring and nurturing. What the hell?! I'm a fool if I'd ever really believe that Leandor could change his attitude and outlook on life and rules. It was always about the rules, always.

Sometimes the best things come from breaking the rules, at least once in a while.

"Get up! Get up Mia!" I was shaken awake. I smacked whoever it was in the face. They hissed in pain as the backed away. Serves them right. I groaned and sat up being careful not to wake Leandor up.

"You hit me!" Elena's voice rang out about the room. I hushed her when she raised her voice. Was she trying to get Leandor I wake up? I furrowed my eyebrows still in a daze. When my eyes focused I noticed she was wearing a large t-shirt that clearly wasn't her own.