Pride

(Hyejin's POV)

I stared at my bedroom ceiling, sprawled all over my bed. I get the day off today.

The TV just silently played in the background as I continued to gaze at the blank white space. Days off were usually exciting for me. But these days, it just feels uneventful.

I grabbed my phone that was resting on my stomach and opened the screen, revealing the empty message box for Taehyung.

"Hey..." My thumb quickly deleted the message after typing.

"I'm sorry" *delete*

"About the other day..." *delete*

"Can we talk about what happened?" *delete*

"You were right" *delete*

"Ugh!" I exclaimed while tossing my phone to the side.

Texting... now, I was never good with that. It always ends up with me forgetting to reply. And if I did remember, it would often be one-worded replies like "ok" or "gotcha" or just the plain old "👍".

Most of the time, I just call. This was not one of those times.

I closed my eyes and let out a huge sigh. Turning to my side, I stared at the huge full-body mirror on the wall.

My hair was tangled and loosely tied in a high ponytail, huge pajamas were wrinkled from tossing and turning the whole night, visible bags under my eyes, and lips chapped from not having a drop of water yet. Basically, unrecognizable!

My brain decided to push me off my bed and drag me to my kitchen and grab a glass of lemon water. As I was sipping my drink, my phone dinged from my bed.

I wasn't expecting anything from anyone so I'll get back to that later.

I turned back to my fridge and my hand snatched a cup of yogurt and teaspoon, opened it, and began to devour it.

"Calories 59, blah, blah, blah, sugar 3.2 g. Hmm, not bad," I muttered while proceeding to get another scoop.

My doorbell rang and I tried to ignore it, pretending that nobody was home.

I was about to walk to my balcony when I heard my doorbell again.

I decided to see who it was.

Ever since my company's strict security bullshit, I stopped expecting guests.

Absentmindedly, I just instantly opened the door without checking my intercom.

Nobody was there.

I stepped outside to see if someone was playing a prank on me, but the hallway was empty.

Shrugging, I went back inside and made sure to lock the door.

Maybe it was just someone who got the wrong apartment.

I decided to push back the unnecessary thoughts and started walking to my kitchen, grabbing the yogurt off the counter, when my house phone suddenly rang.

"Yeoboseyo?" I answered.

The caller immediately hung up.

Huh.

I slowly placed the phone back on its stand and carefully walked away.

(Taehyung's POV)

We were in the van going to the studio as I stared at my black phone screen with Hyejin's name on top of an empty text box.

I pressed the lock button on the side and leaned back to close my eyes.

"Hey," I heard Jimin from my side.

I lazily turned my head to face him, without lifting my head and slightly opened my eyes to look at him.

His dark hair pushed back, allowing more attention to his face. A pair of silver hoops dangled on his ears. He had on an oversized orange shirt that complemented his skin tone.

"You forgot something," he started.

I raised my eyebrow, confused.

"You forgot to lower your pride," he chuckled at his joke while I stared at him unamused.

His eyes turned into upside-down crescent moons as he took pride in poking fun at me.

"Come on... You know you didn't have to react the way you did," he explained. "You're an idol. You, of all people, should have understood her situation."

The silence was loud. I knew he was right. But I didn't want to admit it.

"Also, if it wasn't for Jungkook, she basically wouldn't have shown up in the first place. Think about the huge risk she took that day... instead she got yelled at in return."

I looked away and stared at the surroundings outside the car window.

Guilt started to creep up inside of me as he tried to point out my shortcomings from a few days ago.

"It's just a crush," I heard our most quiet member groan. "She's not his wife."

We both looked at him, sat in front of us. He had his usual black cap on and arms crossed. His eyes closed as he rested his head against the car headrest.

"Hyung, he yelled at her!" Jimin argued.

He shrugged, unbothered by the stated fact.

"Yes, I think we have established what a dick he was," our youngest intervened.

A gasp was heard behind me and Hobi-hyung popped his head to my side by leaning against my chair. His almond-shaped eyes widened in disbelief.

"You didn't..." he blurted.

I believe my silence was enough confirmation. He gasped and leaned back in his chair.

"I believe she has been too focused with work and maybe... Trying to lay low. Jackson even complained to me about it... He hasn't seen her ever since and they're from the same company," Namjoon-hyung added.

I felt a lump in my throat forming. My eyes continued to stare out the window to distract myself from the conversation.

"He gets it. He gets that he's the asshole," Jungkook spat.

Jin-hyung nudged our youngest and gave him a look of disapproval for how he talked to me. Suga-hyung snickered to himself, also earning an elbow from our eldest.

"OKAY! Okay... I'm sorry! I guess I let my emotions get the best of me," I dragged my palm across my face.

A scoff was heard from our maknae as he plugged his headphones on.

"I think you know who you should be saying that to," Jimin commented.

I felt the van come to a stop and the others began exiting the vehicle, proceeding to our building.

Jungkook gave me a cold look before hopping off and running towards Hobi-hyung.

He grabbed his bag and stepped out of the vehicle, looking at me before putting on his shades.

"Figure it out," he finished, leaving me alone in the van.