Chapter 19: A "Real" Hunter (Part 2)

Leah watched as Dean made his way back to the Impala, a brown paper bag in hand. They were parked right outside of a Biggerson's, but Dean had gone into the convenience store directly next door. Sam and Leah, however, had stayed in the car while Sam looked through his dad's journal. They still had no clue what Dean had gone in for, but neither of them really cared enough to ask.

Opening the door to the driver's seat, Dean sat himself down, closed the door, and put his hand into the bag.

"I'm not finding anything on it in Dad's journal," Sam told him, as Dean pulled out scratch tickets from the bag. Sam had yet to notice the brightly colored pieces of paper in Dean's hand, but Leah had a perfect view of them from the back seat. She shook her head and scoffed.

Realizing that Sam had yet to see them, Dean held them up to his brother. Seeing the movement of Dean's hand out of the corner of his eye, he looked up and his gaze shifted to the scratch tickets in his hand.

"Dean, come on," he said.

"What?" Dean asked, defensively. "Hey, that was my gun he was aiming at your head. And my gun don't jam, so that was a lucky break. Not to mention them taking themselves out- also a lucky break. And finding the alcohol for Leah's arm in the motel room? No way we'd ever just stumble upon that, normally. I don't know about you, but I'd call that lucky."

Dean pulled one ticket out of the stash and held it out for Sam to take. "Here, scratch one." Sam only stared at Dean with his brows slightly raised.

"C'mon, Sam!" Sam rolled his eyes and took the ticket. "Scratch and win!"

Dean handed Sam a coin, and Sam got to scratching as he spoke. "Dean, it's gotta be cursed, somehow. Otherwise, Dad wouldn't have locked it up."

Sam finished scratching and handed the card back to Dean, not caring enough to check and see if he won anything.

"Twelve-hundred dollars," Dean said. Sam and Leah looked over at Dean, unsure if they heard him right. Dean looked up at Sam, excitement in his eyes. "You just won twelve-hundred dollars."

Sam seemed impressed, but not as excited as Dean, while Leah stared ahead at them, a little in shock.

"Haha! WHOO!" Dean laughed and hollered. "I don't know, man, it doesn't seem that cursed to me."

Dean wasted no time in handing Sam another card. Sam stared at him for a second, again, and then he gave in and took the ticket from his brother.

After Sam finished scratching all of the tickets Dean had bought, Sam decided to give Bobby a call. Maybe he would know something about this rabbit's foot.

The three of them then migrated to the outside of the car, where Sam stood off to the side to call Bobby, Dean counted the winnings on the hood of the Impala, and Leah stood next to Dean, finding herself very interested in how much they'd actually won.

Leah had never won more than $20 playing scratch tickets, so she found herself in awe at the amount Sam had won. As Leah watched Dean count up the tickets, they could both hear Sam's end of the conversation that he was having with Bobby.

"Now look Bobby, we didn't know," he said. There was a short pause. "Well Dad never told us about this thing. I mean, you knew about his storage place at Black Rock?"

Leah half-listened to the conversation, her main focus on tickets laid out on the hood. Leah and Dean both noticed, in this next pause, that Sam had bent over to pick up something off of the ground. When Sam stood back up, he turned to face them, a gold watch dangling out of his hand as he held it up for them to see.