I'm Yours

A/N I feel like this is such a cheesy chapter, but hopefully you guys like it anyway? Also I just realized that Aruden is really the epitome of idiots to lovers, and I just think that's very fitting.

Anyway...enjoy!

ARU

Aiden's voice followed Aru as she marched up the staircase leading to the balcony. "Aru! Wait!"

"What?" she snapped, spinning around and glaring at him.

He opened his mouth and closed it again, as if unsure what to say. "You were eavesdropping on that conversation?" he said.

Aru bristled defensively. "Not all of it, but...then I heard my name." And then words that cut deep into her heart.

We're just friends and it's better that we stay that way. I'm not interested in her romantically and never will be.

Mini was right. This fake dating scheme had been a terrible idea. Because for a little while, it had given her hope that this relationship could become real.

"Never mind." Aru turned around, eyes stinging, and walked to the shadowed part of the balcony. "It doesn't matter."

He caught up to her. "Shah, I can explain–"

"You have nothing to explain," Aru said dully. "I know you don't like me that way. Otherwise you wouldn't have asked me to fake date you. It's fine."

"It's not fine," Aiden persisted. "What's wrong, Aru?"

Four years, and I thought I was okay. I thought I was over it. But I can't help that...

"That you what, Shah?" Aiden asked.

Aru resisted the urge to cringe. Apparently, her inside voice had become her outside again. Well, she couldn't go back now. And to be honest, she didn't want to. It felt satisfying to admit her true feelings. She didn't want to pretend anymore.

"That I like you!" she burst out, whirling around to face him. "I have for a really long time. And I know you don't. I'm fine with that, but now I'm going to make things completely awkward between us, and our friend group won't be the same, and–"

Aiden put his hands on her shoulders. His touch sent an involuntary shudder through her. "Shah. Relax."

"How can I relax?" Aru demanded. "Everything has changed. Nothing can be normal again."

Aiden's hands slid from her shoulders. His eyes fluttered shut momentarily. When he spoke again, his voice was so quiet, she could barely make out the words. "That's the thing, Aru. I...I don't want things to be 'normal' between us. Not anymore."

She frowned at him. "What do you mean?"

"I do like you, Aru. I like you a lot." He met her eyes, his voice growing more confident as he continued. "What you heard with Mr. Shah was completely out of context. He tricked me into saying that. The truth is, Aru...I want to be with you."

Aru's thoughts scattered. Had she actually heard him right? He liked her back? She discreetly pinched herself. Yup, this was real.

"But...I thought you didn't like me that way," she said. "When we first met, you made it clear that you only wanted to be friends."

"That's because at the time, I did. We didn't have a strong enough connection yet. But...you've come to mean much more than a friend to me, Aru. I was scared to admit it. I still am." He looked at her pleadingly. "Can you understand?"

Aru thought she knew what he was referring to: the failed romance between his mother and father. She also suspected that Mr. Acharya had convinced his son that he wasn't worthy of love. Indignance on Aiden's behalf burned in her chest.