Chapter 24

Even though you didn't exactly say yes to Kenma, you found yourself grabbing a coffee with him after driving Suki to school. And as you sat in the car, you watched as the familiar road and buildings from earlier started to get unfamiliar to you.

"Are we not going back?" you asked, looking at Kenma who shook his head but didn't tear his eyes from the road.

"We're going somewhere."

The somewhere he was talking about turned to be a memorial park near a temple where Kenma bought flowers. You silently followed him towards the graveyard until he stopped in front of a grave where a familiar name was etched.

"Kozume Kana," you muttered slowly, reading the name written on it before you looked at Kenma who bent down to put the flowers and took an incense stick.

He lit it up as smoke came out from the end before sticking it down and Kenma closed his eyes, putting his hands together as he offered his prayers. Soon after he was done, you did the same thing he did and closed your eyes.

You really don't know what to say to someone you haven't personally met before. Until you thought of the little six year old girl who longed for a mother's affection. In that moment you finally realized what to say.

Kana-san, we might not have been able to meet in this life, but know that I will always look after Suki-chan...

Your prayer was short, since you don't have a lot of things to tell her. Looking after and taking care of the child she left was the only thing you told her. And when you opened your eyes and stood up, you realized that Kenma was looking at you.

"What did you tell her?"

"I told her that I'll look after Suki-chan."

It was barely noticeable, but you saw the side of his lips turning up in a smile, however slight it was. As the two of you stood there, the breeze lulled you into tranquillity. The silence was light and comfortable and it lingers around like a blanket made of feathers.

In the middle of the stillness, you heard Kenma moved and you turned your head to glance at him as he took a step closer to the grave.

"You can rest serenely now, nee-san."

It's been a while since Kenma last said those words, it's been so long since he last called her that. But the word still feels as familiar to him as if it was the most natural thing to say.

"Let's go back," he said after a while and you turned around first.

When Kenma averted his gaze, a lone tear managed to fall from his eye but he wiped it as fast as it fell until you stopped and turned around when you didn't feel Kenma following behind. He saw you stopped and he started to walk up to you, waiting for him until he's right beside you.