Chapter 11

The next morning I feel...different. I feel happy....like I just won a trip to somewhere tropical. I try to wipe the smile off my face but to no prevail.

"What's got you so smiley?" Piper asks when I enter the school. "I have no idea" I reply with a giddy laugh. Hazel gives me a puzzled look but doesn't say anything. However what I see next wipes my smile like a slap to the face. Down the hallway I see to people kissing. Percy and Penelope.
Before I know what I'm doing, I sprint down the hall. Away from Percy and Penelope. Away from Hazel and Piper. I just run until I finally reach the library.

I run and slump down into one of the corners at the back of the library. I don't know why the scene upsets me so much. But it does. I don't know why but seeing Penelope kiss Percy...it hurt. Confused and hurt I curl up and put my head between my knees.

"Annabeth" someone whispers and taps my shoulder lightly. "Annabeth" they repeat. Reluctantly, I lift my head and see Piper crouching in front of me. "Hey" she whispers "Why'd you run off?" I shrug and feel a tear make its way down my cheek. "It's ok" She soothes and wraps her arms around me, rubbing my back. "I don't know why it bothered me but it did" I say quietly. "Why what bothered you?" She asks. "Penelope and Percy kissing" I say quietly. "Oh" she replies. "You like him don't you?" She asks. I pull out of her hug and nod. "Do you love him?" She asks. I don't answer. Do I love Percy? I mean we've been friends for a long time. And we're really close. Yes, i decide. "Yes" I say aloud. Piper grins like she knew it all along.

Piper and I enter the cafeteria. Almost immediately Percy runs up to me. "Annabeth, look we need to talk?" He says glancing at Piper, silently telling her to leave. She nods and walks off, leaving us alone. "What?" I ask coldly. I know I shouldn't feel angry but I do. I'm furious. "I know that you saw Penelope and I this morning" he starts, but I cut him off. "I don't care" I say. Total lie. "You're not very good at lying. You do care. I can see it in your eyes" he replies. I look into his sea green eyes, he cares. I can tell by the way he stares down at me. But this is the second time he's hurt me. "Maybe I do. But waiting for you, is like waiting for rain in this droit. Useless and a waste of time" I say, referring to the droit we were having. I didn't wait to him to respond. I just turned and left. 'Forget him' I tell myself. Forget him........