²⁸ : fire

"what if i light a fire in the rain?" vernon looked at him, doing a thumbs up for dino to see while his other hand shielded his eyes from the rain.

dino nodded, closing his eyes and focusing his energy into making a flame strong enough to withstand the steadily growing rain. a green hue surrounded the pair, vernon jumping out of the way as a brilliant green light whizzed past him.

slowly on the damp firewood grew a green flame, the tips of dinos' fingers ablaze as the fire grew stronger before eventually turning back into reddish orange with dino opening his eyes as he forced the trees to bend and create a small shelter for them.

vernon clapped, letting out a long whistle and feeling immense gratitude that he had gotten paired with a magic user.

dino smiled, sitting down on the log next to vernon as they watched the flames dance.

"honestly, i'd do bigger magic tricks if it weren't for my fear of the neutraliser being used again," dino mentioned. "and the fact that i'm a student council head is also stopping me but you know-" he tossed a stick into the flame, the flame rising. "-that's a secondary factor."

the pair laughed, vernon sliding down onto the grass and getting closer to the flame, hugging his knees to himself as the flames warmed him. "hey...did you always want to be a neutral party?"

dino stared at the back of his head, his hair gently dancing with every passing breeze.

truthfully speaking, when he had first gotten his blessing, he had no inkling of a clue how he should've been. should he be happy? should he be sad? should he be celebrating? should he be crying? those were the questions he asked himself ever since that day.

compared to his peers who had received no special role, he was seen as lucky but in comparison to those who were either a protagonist or antagonist, he was seen as a nobody.

even within the student union, the neutrals opinions were heavily blurred out, the school principals and officials never really viewing them as any more important than a pebble that one passes by on a walk.

dino shook his head, sitting down next to vernon. "honestly, i thought that if anything, i'd be a protagonist or i'd just have no special role you know? a background character of sorts," he said, playing with a wet leaf as he stared at the fire he had created. "how 'bout you? you're the next prince charming — i'm sure you're excited about that."

he turned to vernon and for the first time in the weeks he's known him, he saw the boy momentarily frown.

"i'm guessing you didn't wish for your role either huh?" vernon looked at him, his eyes wide as if asking him how he figured it out. "i'm the head of student welfare vern — of course i have it figured out."

vernon bit his bottom lip, looking back at the fire. "i just wanted to be an extra," he murmured, taking a twig, his eyes watching as it caught on fire. "it's a lot of responsibility to play a prince and i thought that if i continue being reckless and carefree, i wouldn't get any role at all."

vernon broke the twig in half, letting one side fall into the flames. "being an extra meant that i could live my life the way i wanted to. i could go on trips with friends, do stupid things with my family and so on but now..." he looked up at the cloud filled sky and sighed. "the closest escape i have is chasing after seungkwan but even i know that there'll be a time where i won't even see him anymore."

dino watched as he tossed the other half in, a sad smile playing on his lips as he hugged his legs to himself. "the price to pay for being considered a fairytale legend is our own lives."

"then we should change it right?" vernon looked at dino, the younger smiling brightly as he stood up and wiped his hands on his pants. "it might be difficult but i think if we try hard enough we can do something about it!"

green sparks flew from dinos' fingers, igniting the flame further and making it burn brighter. "let's stop living someone else's prophecy and start our own-" dino lent a hand for vernon to take. "-what do you say?"

after a few moments of solely hearing the rain drops fall onto the ground, vernon took hold of his hand, grasping it firmly as he stood up as well.

"it won't hurt to try."

–––

goldilocks <3
offline

joshuji
hannie your boy is so irritating and sulky i want to run away

joshuji
do you think jun can stop the rain? because this rain really doesnt feel like itll stop anytime soon and when i do run out of battery, i think ill lose it

joshuji
i cannot believe im missing your wannabe golidilocks self </3 ive truly gone to the dark side

goldilocks <3
shua

joshuji
what is it my love <3

goldilocks <3
don't trust seokmin.

–––

vee talks!

i...i don't even know what i did to deserve this but THANK YOU!

my lovely yin actually informed me via instagram but i was thinking that by the time i update, it would've changed but as of rn, it HASNT so <33

but THANK YOU SO MUCH LOVES <33