Chapter 4 [The dreaded Collab]

1 Chronicles 16:34

"Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; for his steadfast love endures forever"

Aaliyah
——————
Word Count: 1361

I scroll through Instagram trying to distract myself from the complete boredom that this meeting is bringing. I am sat around a large office marble table with my business associates around me as one of my co workers stands up at the presentation board talking about the plan for us to expand the company.

"Does anyone have any suggestions for a new sector idea in the company?" He asked while pointing his pointing stick around the room. I am too distracted by the location spots that i see on Instagram.

My therapist telling me i have to do something for myself seemed like a stupid idea at first, especially since i have never stopped working since the day i left New York, I have made it a priority to throw myself into as much work as possible and that's what made me decide to open my own Café earlier this year.

Instagram is the hardest place to ignore maleek, seeing his face multiple times popping up on my timeline even when i blocked him on every social media app i have. I constantly come across his face covered with big bold writing of people congratulating him for his achievements, i mean the guy has met all these new celebrities and influencers, making it almost impossible for me to ignore him.

I aggressively scroll past the 10 posts of him and come across a gorgeous spot in the Maldives, the picture shows a crystal blue ocean with two happy couples taking a stroll along the white sand, there was a little villa made from bamboo sticks and what looks like sticks. The sky is almost as blue as the ocean and the sun is blazing down on the town. I imagine my feet walking on the hot sand with a cold drink in my hand and the sun in my eyes.

"Miss Johnson is that okay with you?" The man who was presenting the slide looked to me with a raised eyebrow and a hopeful smile, Crap! How do i always get myself into these situations.

"Um... yes, i agree, lets do that." I say while shaking my head and sipping on the coffee in front of me. The men all around me looked at each other with excitement and shock in their faces and so did the man presenting.

"Well.. alright then, how mighty generous of you miss Johnson." Generous? surely whatever i agreed to cant be that bad.

"Yes, well, i might as well start off my first day as CEO with a generous offer, but dont get to used to it."

"We wont ma'am, shall we call them up then"

"..Okay." As long as i didnt just agree to do a nudity commercial then i dont care what it is, i mean after all, we do only sell merchandise for boxers and sports equipment for professional athletes... My co workers stare at me in a way that makes my stomach turn, like im their principal and they are the students waiting to be excused.

Then i remember.... They are waiting for me to tell them to go! I forget my position so often, They all make their way out of the room as soon as i let them go, except for one man who stays back and walks up to me. I raise an eyebrow and shake my head at him.

"Excuse me ma'am.. i just have to commend you." His shaky nervous voice tells me, i can tell he is like a mini Lawerence, kiss ass. I like it..

"Commend me? for partaking in a meeting?" He chuckles and shakes his hand in front of him.

"No.... now i know im not meant to listen to gossip but.." Gossip? WHAT THE HECK DID I JUST AGREE TO?!

".. you putting aside any personal issues and allowing the team to collaborate with The Davis Gym.. wow. I just wish i had your professionalism."

WHAT! I just spent 2 years trying to avoid this man and now i cant get him out of my head!

"WHAT?" i yelled back while slamming my coffee down on the table, burning my hand and spilling a bit of it on the table in the process. His face was full of confusion but he just pointed to the door and mouthed I'm gonna go.. as he quickly scurried out of the room.

A Collab.. this means im going to have to sit down with this man, have to face him once again even after all we have been through, we will be stuck in a room together, talking staring at each other. I will be forced in a room poisoned by his intoxicating scent and demonic good looks.. his sweet talking words of wisdom and all the nostalgic memories... and if i dont go, then i will look like the weakest boss ever! I mean come on, who wants a boss who cant even put her own malice away for the sake of the company, my father did it all the time. Now i have to lead by example.. I can do this.. I can do this.. I can do this...

I grip onto the chair handle and release the tension in my body, my mind is flooded by each memory, all the dates.. i cant even go into a walmart without breaking down anymore.. I had to change my car because it had a sun roof and so did maleek's.. there were reminders of him everywhere. My body gets warm with the feelings that he use to give me and the worst part is.. i love every moment of this. Its love.

I havent been in love since Maleek, so can you blame me for wanting five minutes of love again? oh who am i kidding, i would blame me too.. I pick up my phone and look up the Davis gym on google, it has 5 stars and actually looks a lot bigger and better than it did when i was there but then again, that is down in New York, if it isnt big time, people dont want it. I can see a picture of Maleek and and april side by side each holding onto to one side of a huge pair of scissors ready to cut a long red ribbon in front of their newest building, Maleek is still towering over april but she has gotten taller too, her hair changed to a jet black that really suits her face, she has an amazing body as always and that signature smile that really just sells it.

She looks so happy and I'm hoping its not because of Maleek. Wait what if they are dating... i mean its obvious how much Maleek liked her, she was the only employee i ever saw him talking to. I looked at her uniform shirt and saw her name looked different. I zoomed in on the photo and saw her nametag. April- Co-Manager. A gasp fell from my mouth.

Me and April stopped talking as soon as i moved to Atlanta, to be fair i changed my number and didn't tell anyone my old one. Especially not her, Maleek intimidates her easily, if he asked her what my number was she would easily fold. I wish we would have stayed talking because then i would have gotten to congratulate her for this.

I can see her bliss almost burst through the phone and somehow that's enough with April always having to take Maleek's shifts when i forced him to come out with me.. she deserves this But damnit this picture brings me back...I turn off my phone and lean back on my rolling chair. "What have i gotten myself into.."

I can do this... or at least i pray that i can....

*

Hey everybody! Im having a bit of writer's block, please bare with me. I will still be updating hopeless love but when this story reaches 3 votes, just 3 votes i will update it next

Please vote and comment

God bless :)