𝐏𝐀𝐑𝐓 𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄

You look at your reflection in the mirror of the washroom. Part of the glass is still fogged up from your recent shower, but you can see a clear image of yourself—and the mark your fingers trace on your neck. The corners of your lips have curled up into a mindless smile as you observe it and bring yourself back to that sweet, sensual moment.

It had worked as the perfect alibi for both of you. As soon as you returned to the women, their eyebrows shot up in surprise. You had enjoyed grabbing a drink and sitting back down where you'd been before as you told them with a smug smile that your husband had been in the room attempting to rest as well. Bela had tapped her finger against her glass with the fakest of smiles, and the other two women had exchanged a few glances you couldn't quite read.

Din had told you that the men were unfazed, but that was a good sign in and of itself. Avoiding suspicion was the goal, after all. But there had been a light in his eyes when he met up with you for dinner that you've only seen once before, when he'd found the droid that tried to drown you. You hope he tells you what's on his mind now that you're back in your room for the night. Just like you said to Bela earlier, there isn't anything you don't know about each other, and this is no time to start keeping secrets.

Aside from your growing feelings for...

You force the thought away and look away from the mirror. After you've collected your belongings, you open the door to the washroom and walk out. Din's gaze rises from where he's been studying a part of the assassin droid yet again and you nod at his work. "Find anything?"

Din sighs and shakes his head. "No." You can feel his gaze burning through you as you put your belongings away. "Whoever did this really didn't want to leave a trace."

"Smart move." You make your way over to the bed and sit beside Din. You knead the material of Din's sleeves in your hands as you let his shirt comfort you the way you wish he could. "I don't think it was Drego."

"I'm curious to hear your theories. But first..." Din leans over to his bedside table and hands you a glass with a very strong drink, "I thought this might help."

You laugh and take it from him with a smile. "Thanks, Din." He nods and reaches for his own glass. You take a sip of the drink and let it burn down your throat before you go on. "I think the droid was sent by Bella Ville."

Din's eyes widen as he lowers his glass from his lips. "Really?" He tilts his head at you. "That's quite a change of heart from you."

"I know what I said the other day." You harden your jaw when you picture the amused and enraptured look in Bela's eye as she told you about the mixer night. "But she said something today that just..." you shake your head, "well, it proved you right."

Din's gaze studies yours with a softness that makes you ache. "Are you comfortable elaborating?"

"Yeah." You smile and take another sip of your drink. "Her friendship with me was never genuine. She's not interested in me." You gesture to Din with your glass. "She wants you."

Din's brow wrinkles. "Me?" He runs a hand over his damp hair. "For malicious intent?"

You chuckle and shake your head. "No, Din. She thinks you're attractive—and she wants to sleep with you."

Din's eyes widen. His face begins to flush red as he looks away from you. "Oh." He draws a long sip from his drink before he faces you again. "But what does that have to do with you?"

"She probably thinks that if I'm out of the picture, you'll be more willing to spend a night with her." Din tightens his jaw the more you go on. "She's obviously unhappy in her marriage with Garo, so getting rid of me would give her direct access to you."